DB's 120gal Mixed Reef

DB9181

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well… I had plans to upgrade the 29g to a 75g – Got one for free from a buddy and had it all set up. Then I got an offer for a nearly free 120g, I obviously couldn’t resist and jumped on it.

It’s a 60x18x26 120 gallon tank w/ 2†plastic center brace. The stand that It came with was more of an entertainment stand, and could only house maybe a 29g sump, so I decided to build my own custom stand.

The stand is 62x22x36 – I designed it so that a 55gal sump would could slide in/out from the side between the stand legs incase the sump ever needed to be removed. Well…after fudging around for several hours I figured out it was impossible to use the 55g as a sump and the new skimmer I picked up due to min/max water level. So I ditched the 55g, and turned my 40B into a sump/fuge. However, It no longer can slide through the side, so I designed the front Panel of the stand to be removable (4 screws) giving me entire access under the stand. The 40B sump/fuge will also allow for a 10gal tank to fit as a Top Off, as well as other equipment.
Below are some pics of the stand build:

(Pictures will be added later tonight/tomorrow)

Tank will be a mixed Reef, focusing on primarily LPS and softies w/ some SPS mixed in.

Tank specs:

Tank:
60x18x26 120 gallon w/ 2†plastic center-brace

Stand:
62x22x36 custom built. Entire front panel is removable to allow full access under the tank.

Lights:
Prestige Gamma LED/T5 36†unit
T-5s: Front-to-Back
-Blue Plus
-True Antinic
-Purple Plus
-Blue Plus

Unit is programmable and fully customable for Ws, Bs, Cs (red/green), and moonlights for 0%- 99%. LEDs will be controlled by unit for sunrise through sunset. T5s are on 2 switches, which will be on timers or through RKE if I have an open outlet.

Since my tank is 5’ (not standard 4’) I needed to raise the unit higher off the water to get enough spread to the far ends.

At the top of my rockwork I am getting mid 300s, mid-tank (where my z/p frag racks current set) mid 200s, middle-sand bed 150-170ish.

Plumbing/Overflow:
Gl*******s.com 1500gph overflow kit – 2 1.5†bulkheads in overflow box, 2 3/4†returns w/ locline and flare nozzles at either end of the tank w/ a Eheim 1262 return pump

Flow:
2 Koralia 1050s, 2 JBJ 1600s on wavemaker duo (opposite ends alternating every 10secs) plus pretty decent flow from returns. Even w/o the ruturns on it’s ton of flow. I may program them to be ‘calmer’ at night via RKE.

LR/LS:
roughly 1 of live sand from 75gal tank (I will probably add a little more), roughly 110-130lbs of LR in DT – there will also be 10-20lbs in the sump/fuge.

Skimmer:
Euro-Reef rs180 rated up to 450gals – realistically, rated 180g lightly stocked, 135gal heavily stocked. I also have a 8†scrubbie which is awesome! I will have it set to turn on 4-6x/day which will clean/squeegee the neck of the collection cup. This will allow for better/more effective skimming, greatly increasing its effectiveness and reducing the frequency of emptying/cleaning the skimmer.

Sump:
Pictured below – 40B Tank w/ acrylic baffles. Fuge section is roughly 15x18x12 which is 12-14gals. I have 10lbs of Miracle Mud and cheato. I recently also added 1000pods from reefs2go.com (1000pods in DT as well). I will also be hooking up a Two Little Fishes Phosban 150 to run carbon.

40b Sump.jpg

ATO: Float-values controlled by RKE and timer (backup) with 10gal reservoir. (Still need to set up)

Controller:
DA Reef-Keeper Elite w/ 2 PC-4s.

Current Fish:

5†Desjardini Sailfin Tang2†Blue Hippo Tang2†Caulk Bass
1 ½†B/O Osc. Clown1 ½†O/W Osc. Clown3†Melanurus Wrasse
2†Psychedelic MandarinDragon Sleeper Goby

Wishlist Fish:
TBA
Inverts:
75gallon ReefCleaners.org CUC w/ hermits – ReefCleaners.org always overkills so for now its holding up to the bio-load.

2†RBTA3â€Flower Rock Nem5†Purple LTA5-6†Derasa Clam2 Sexy Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp2 Brittle Stars (5â€)

Coral:
Zs n’ Ps:
(There are some that will not listed due to pirates…)

Magicians
Devils Armor
Vivid Rainbow
Sunny Ds
ASD Pepperoni
Phantom Blues
ASD Blues
ASD Purple Nurple
ASD Fairy Tale
ASD Purple Devine
ASD Pink Floral
ASD Firestorm
Pink Speckled Palys
Orange BamBams
Incredible Hulks
Neon GBPs
ASD Atomic Rasta
Rev. Space Mons.
Green Implosion
Fruitloops
Fire & Ice
Blue Tubbs
Darth Mauls
Orange Mauls
Blue Hornets
Red Hornets
PDA PE (RDPE)
John Deere
Mohawks
Cats Eyes
Pink Hippo
Dragon Eyes
Blow Pops
ASD Purple Pluto
Lemon Rings
Gobstoppers
HC Green Spartans
Watermelons
X-Men
Pink Zipper
LA Lakers
Space Odyssey
Wheel Wagon
Blue Sparkle
RPE
Lemon Drops
Pirated Blood
Blue Steel
My Clementines
Rastas
Night Crawler
Cherry Charms
Green Bay Packers
Starship Destroyer
Midnight Express
MoonBeams
Cabbage Patch
Minted Agaves
BBEB
Cherry Blossoms
Rum Runner
Perfect Wife/Bouquet
Northern Lights
Napalm
Smurf Nipple
Orange Mandarins
Chong Bongs
Blue Rhino
Mary Janes
Bloody Mary
Captain America
God of War
Reverse Gor. Nips
Crazy Ladies
Frosty Ladies
Ultra Lunars
Chinese Firecracker
Aussie Chaos
Ultimate Chaos
I still got another 10-15 coming from a buddies tank including blue agaves, black hornets, wow's, etc

SPS:

ORA Red PlanetPonape BirdsnestORA Green Birdsnest
Sour Apple Monti Cap
Green Slimmer Acro
Spongode Montipora
Rainbow Birdsnest
Red Monti Cap
Purple Table Acro
Pink Milli
Bird of Paradise
Green Monti Gap

A several others…. Need to get names later.

LPS:
Green/Purple Tip FrogSpawn
Pink FrogSpawn
Lemon-Lime FrogSpawn
WCR Yellow Torch
Multi-Colored Scoly
Duncans
Highlighter Candy-CanesDendrosRics/Yumas/Shrooms
Tyree Green ToadstoolBlack Sun CoralMCF Scoly
RBTA (just split)
Quad-Rainbow BTA
Flowerpot Nem

Old FTS from March '13 - Ive added some more Rock for SPS at the top.
FTS 3-6.jpg

Here is the 120g with the new 20L frag tank that will soon be plumbed into it - Taken w/ iPhone Camera so LEDs look like crap. I built the 120g stand, middle door is normal on magnets.
120 & 20L.jpg

My buddy came over with his nice camera... here are some of the pics - more to come.

ORA Red Planet
ORA RP.jpg

Rasta Goni
rasta goni.jpg

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice pics!

Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looks like u know exactly what u want from ur tank.
Keep up the good work

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back