DC Pump for Manifold

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a DC pump for a manifold to feed 2 phosban 150 reactors (carbon and GFO), an Aqua UV 15 watt sterilizer (will use for water clarity and dino/algae control), and a Turbo Aquatics L2 algae scrubber. How much pump do I need for this? This is for a 75 g DT and 25 g sump.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of getting a DC pump for a manifold to feed 2 phosban 150 reactors (carbon and GFO), an Aqua UV 15 watt sterilizer (will use for water clarity and dino/algae control), and a Turbo Aquatics L2 algae scrubber. How much pump do I need for this? This is for a 75 g DT and 25 g sump.
Ths will likely depend on how your plumbing is set up and the head pressures involved. I have a VarioS 6 to my 125 with a 30 gal sump and a manifold going to my chiller with a UV sterilizer in line to the chiller, External refugium, Bio pellet reactor, and a Calcium reactor. Work so far.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you hadn't considered it, it is much better in many respects* to set up an independent pump for each reactor/application.
(*Simplicty not the least of them.)

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you hadn't considered it, it is much better in many respects* to set up an independent pump for each reactor/application.
(*Simplicty not the least of them.)
I find it fascinating that you are of the opinion that an independent pump on each piece of additional equipment is simpler. I actually went with the manifold route to make things simple. Having had independent pumps prior and now a manifold, I will always go the manifold route moving forward. Simplicity is the main reason. For my current setup, I would have to buy four additional pumps, with the associated cost for each, the additional work of cleaning and maintaining and replacing these pumps, the valuable space needed on my eb8, the additional wire routing in an otherwise crowded space, the additional electricity consumed (albeit minor), the additional sump space used and heat generated, etc. As configured now, I have to only maintain one pump and have the redundant backup return plumbed and ready for operation should there be any problems with the one main return pump. I can't see how it could be simpler or better. I am always open to others' opinions and am curious to know how additional independent pumps are better and/or simpler. The beauty of these forums is to share that info and exchange ideas. If I can do it better and simpler I am all ears, or eyes in this case...

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I meant to mention that this manifold will only be to feed the reactors/uv sterilizer/algae scrubber. I'm keeping the return pump separate. Just want to reduce the number of pumps I have in the sump. I figure I can get a large dc pump for cheap (jebao) to accomplish this, but was wondering how large of a pump to get.

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure the flow requirements for each piece of equipment you will be running and the head pressure calculations then double that and maybe more. Find a pump capable of that doubled + max flow rate. You can always dial back a larger DC pump but you can never go higher than the maximum output. There is no 'one size fits all' scenarios as you have to do a little 'figuring" based on your plumbing layout and needs. Then the discussion becomes what pump rated at that particular flow rate is best for your needs and budget. My main return, as I have said, is the VarioS 6 and my backup is a Jebao DCP-8000. they have different flow rates due to different plumbing configurations. My only advice is to go bigger than you think, by at least double, as I have found the ratings are best case scenario and never come close to real world, in-tank application rates.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back