jhmeresqu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the
Icon_New.gif
Reef Octopus RODC 5500 Water Pump? Any insight as compared to the Waveline DC6000 Internal/External Pump w/Controller?

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the RO DC pump but they all pretty much look the same to me on all the websites. I can't wait to get my Speedwave pump so that I can compare it to Jebao DC pump I already have.

I'll report back when I compare the 2.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm anxious to see what you find, too, Ryan.

Brandon

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what was the root-cause of failure? Magnet, motor, power supply?
Nothing blocked pump or got stuck in intake. I ran on 6/6. I do feed a fuge and tank with 1.5 inch header to 1 inch feeds with 5/6 head feet. Came home both times and pumps were dead. If I helped the rotor spin it would take off for a second and stop again. Must be circuits or windings in pump. Seen the power supplies go bad as well but that never happened for me. I find the flow rate to be lowered then advertised.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing blocked pump or got stuck in intake. I ran on 6/6. I do feed a fuge and tank with 1.5 inch header to 1 inch feeds with 5/6 head feet. Came home both times and pumps were dead. If I helped the rotor spin it would take off for a second and stop again. Must be circuits or windings in pump. Seen the power supplies go bad as well but that never happened for me. I find the flow rate to be lowered then advertised.

I have seen the pumps not start before when I was vinegar bathing one of the units I was using but never had the issue actually happen once hooked up to the aquarium. I thought it had something to do with the "run dry" protection that they supposedly have built in. Are you sure all the air bubbles were out of the pumps?

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The out of water protection is thermal based I bet. It doesn't detect the presents of water. Just if pump is over amp/producing too much heat. This is I last 3 months and break. I am not the only one. Tank has ATO and full apex. I cleaned pump and wanted to get it working again but it wouldn't go. Even the first one I got had the rotor rubbing on the motor and didn't flow more then my 1262 eheim. I was wanting more flow and for 99 bucks in a group buy figured why not plus everyone was on his low watts dc pump kick. Well sorry I wasted my time and money. Just saying with over 5k in corals not worth it and I wouldn't tell anyone else to buy one. Coralvue even retired this pump line already.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The out of water protection is thermal based I bet. It doesn't detect the presents of water. Just if pump is over amp/producing too much heat. This is I last 3 months and break. I am not the only one. Tank has ATO and full apex. I cleaned pump and wanted to get it working again but it wouldn't go. Even the first one I got had the rotor rubbing on the motor and didn't flow more then my 1262 eheim. I was wanting more flow and for 99 bucks in a group buy figured why not plus everyone was on his low watts dc pump kick. Well sorry I wasted my time and money. Just saying with over 5k in corals not worth it and I wouldn't tell anyone else to buy one. Coralvue even retired this pump line already.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered a second one because my original has a voltage leak and throwing off my apex salinity readings. Hope it's just an isolated issue as I do like the pump. Small foot print and quiet.

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so all of these pumps are the same. I just put the front cover (volute) from the Jebao on the Speedwave so I don't have to change my plumbing. The Speedwave is now in a vinegar bath and will be hooked up to the system soon.

Everything is pretty much the same, including the quality check stickers on the bottom of both pumps. Lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408770503.433295.jpg

OP
OP
schooleyosis

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm just cursed. The Speedwave pump is the quietest of them all but not silent... Guess I'll live with this one.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have it sitting directly on the bottom?

Brandon

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back