DC return pumps as both return and power heads

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good afternoon, everyone,

Is anyone using their return pump as both a return & power head?

For example, the VarioS-2 Controllable DC Pump by Reef Octopus has a max & eco mode. So, in theory the RH pump would be in max mode while the LH pump was in eco mode and after a set amount of time the RH pump could be in eco and the LH in Max.

The fear I have is that if both pumps were in max mode, they could overpower the return

Thanks for your input

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other reason is oxygenation. What happens if your return pump fails for any reason? Powerheads are there to ensure adequate water movement so things don't start dying off. This is why you'll find battery backups for almost every powerhead out there but very little for return pumps.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, everyone,

Is anyone using their return pump as both a return & power head?

For example, the VarioS-2 Controllable DC Pump by Reef Octopus has a max & eco mode. So, in theory the RH pump would be in max mode while the LH pump was in eco mode and after a set amount of time the RH pump could be in eco and the LH in Max.

The fear I have is that if both pumps were in max mode, they could overpower the return

Thanks for your input

Depending a few factors such as where the inlets are placed , and how big the tank is, you certainly can use use your return flow as the sole means of moving water in the tank, and eliminate the power heads - especially if you incorporate a few few of our Random Flow Generators nozzles into the system.

Since the RFG works best with strong, steady flow, and you generally would want to run your return pump on steady flow, as opposed to a variable flow, it can be an ideal way make the return line flow more beneficial

with that said, as @blaxsun pointed out, you there is always the risk of the pump failing. As such, you should have a backup plan in place, such as some sort of backups, a spare power head or even a spare pump on hand for an emergency. But that's true regardless of how you set up the flow in the tank.

Assuming you're running a sump, then you would want both pumps in steady flow, otherwise it will change the way water flows back to the sump. In this case, a single pump with RFG nozzles might do the trick, and you can keep the second as a spare

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back