Reef Octo VarioS-2 loud noise issue hum buzz

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Octo Varios-2 after my Sicce Return pump started family, this is how sounds like with the lowest setting (eco). In the video it's running The lowest before I set it to level 3 (normal). I kept reading this was the most dead silent pump in the market and took the bullet of spending nearly $250 USD on this.

I'm not sure if this sound is normal, it seems to be coming from the pump, it's not hitting any wall even making the sound levitating, and plenty of water (almost 9" of water height).

It's a very noticeable buzz/hum and sounds louder in person rather than the video. My sicce was virtually silent and running at max speed since it doesn't have a speed controller.

OP
OP
S

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds pretty normal to me
No offense but I don't think a 25w DC pump is supposed to run louder than my old 45w ac sicce that was running at 3x the GPH flow rate.

Take a listen at the 10s video mark where I put it to level 2 and 3, out of 5 speed options. There's no way that's an acceptable noise to be considered silent by any means.

I want other opinions on this since I may have to RMA the entire pump or get a new propeller , worst case I'll just buy another sicce

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not able to see or hear anything. When I click on the Play symbol, nothing happens.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense but I don't think a 25w DC pump is supposed to run louder than my old 45w ac sicce that was running at 3x the GPH flow rate.

Take a listen at the 10s video mark where I put it to level 2 and 3, out of 5 speed options. There's no way that's an acceptable noise to be considered silent by any means.

I want other opinions on this since I may have to RMA the entire pump or get a new propeller , worst case I'll just buy another sicce
Like I said, its normal for this pump. I should know since I have 2 Varios 4 pumps (1 return 1 skimmer) running in my tank.

If you cant stand the noise just return it and get something else.

OP
OP
S

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging by other similar posts involving rattling , it seems it's a bad impeller. At max flow it rattles the entire pump and felt noticable touching the pvc which I didn't demonstrate in the video. I'm contacting support for a replacement impeller if the replacement Jabeo is quiter.

I'm sorry but I'm refusing to believe the varios is this loud by default on it's lowest setting especially since many people here rated it as the most dead silent pump in the reef community. My Sicce Silent 3 was running quiter and it was locked to nearly 750gph only since it's a AC Pump.

Buying a Jabeo MDP 3500 which has a similar but faster flow rate to see if it's any quieter. I'll stay updated.

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my varios's are dead silent( I have a 2 and, a 4). I often have to put my hand on them, just to make sure their running, they are that silent.

Totally not normal in my experience.

Have you taken it apart and checked the impeller just to see if it's possibly some flashing left from manufacturing making it rattle a bit?

OP
OP
S

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of my varios's are dead silent( I have a 2 and, a 4). I often have to put my hand on them, just to make sure their running, they are that silent.

Totally not normal in my experience.

Have you taken it apart and checked the impeller just to see if it's possibly some flashing left from manufacturing making it rattle a bit?
I'm planning on cleaning out the impeller and testing if that makes a difference tomorrow afternoon when I received the jabeo, if it works I'm simply refunding it and keeping the varios.

May I ask what speeds do you have it set to. I'd like to have it at 3-4 at dead silence

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 3 Varios 8 pumps and mine are silent. Is it vibrating on something. did you try runing it a separate container of water?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a reupload.
Thanks. I have a VarioS-6 on my skimmer that is completely silent. I am guessing there is some type of small debris or film that is effecting the balance of the impeller, or simply a defective impeller or impeller shaft.

OP
OP
S

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update , got a jabeo for $100 running at 1300gph compared to the Octo running at lv1 (300gph) it's sounds way quieter than this, warranty won't honor it so I'm at a loss of $300 for a loud octo dc pump rip

gcifx.ltd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video seems to be unavailable for me, but try removing the volute and check that the flat plate behind the impeller blade is lined up correctly. If it is installed so that it is not completely flat with the slots lined up it will be super loud. Ask me how I know…

Attachments

• IMG_8095.jpeg
    IMG_8095.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
S

SrNapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video seems to be unavailable for me, but try removing the volute and check that the flat plate behind the impeller blade is lined up correctly. If it is installed so that it is not completely flat with the slots lined up it will be super loud. Ask me how I know…
I tried this thinking something may have got trapped in the impeller but it just seems to be a defective unit, there's similar posts with the same pump.

Another post suggests that it might be a faulty controller incorrectly sending power causing the wine noise.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back