DDR cracking?!?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set this up a few days ago. Walked in this morning and the cylinder on the right is cracking all over. No one has access to the room my fish stuff is in. Last night when I locked up it was fine, this morning all cracked. Has anyone had this issue before?

E26A2EE5-BCEA-47EE-898F-333DB335EDF3.jpeg

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in the container? High ph liquids can cause that with some plastics. There can also be a degradation of the glue used.

Red Sea NoPox is in that one. It's not leaking just stress cracks all over it looks like. I have kalk in a coral box container which is much cheaper with no issues.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alcohol in nopox is causing it. I gave up on pretty dosing containers a long time ago. I use diy carboy containers for kalk and mason jars with plastic lids for everything else. Some of the mason jars are decorative and look very good.

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potentially. If the cracks get big enough to leak through. I use nopox as well. It was the reason I started using mason jars for everything but kalk. The good news is that the DOS pump heads will work fine with everything. That can not be said for other dosing pumps on the market. I have been using the DOS pumps with kalk, 2 part, alcohol, vinegar, acropower, and nopox for years without failure.

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While on the topic, I'm new to NoPox. It works as my phosphates are down to .04. I know it's a form of carbon dosing. I also run GAC in a reactor. My water is cloudy today like a bacteria bloom which I have before and cleared it with a UV which I just turned on. I also raised my ALK and calc yesterday a bit too fast while switching to all for reef so I have some precipitation. Is it bad to run GAC while dosing NoPox?

I've lived all over NC. Went to NC State so was in Raleigh. Lived in Burlington, Greensboro, Charlotte. Right now I'm in Lewisville, just outside Winston-Salem but one of my offices is in Dunn which is about an hour from Wilmington and that's where I am most of the time. Wilmington is an awesome place!

GainesvilleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, GOPACK.!! I'm an alum too.

I have found that I only need 1/3 or less of the recommended amount of NOPOX. It is ok to use GAC and NOPOX together. Though you will find that bacteria will grow in your teacher and you will have to clean it more often.

If you are having bacteria blooms back off the NOPOX some.

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, GOPACK.!! I'm an alum too.

I have found that I only need 1/3 or less of the recommended amount of NOPOX. It is ok to use GAC and NOPOX together. Though you will find that bacteria will grow in your teacher and you will have to clean it more often.

If you are having bacteria blooms back off the NOPOX some.

Small world! When did you graduate? I was there from 99-02.

I lowered the Nopoz dose from 5ml/day to 2.5. Phosphate was .12 and nitrates 30 when I started and I'm at .04 and 5 now which is where I want to maintain. Will seew what the levels look like in the am when i test after a day of half dose. I have a heavy bioload so will be interesting to see.

Appreciate your help

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune clearly states in their documentation that you should not use the DDR with any alcohol based products. Did you buy your DDR new or used? Mine had a large warning label In the box.

EC786963-351B-41B7-B5CB-A8CF90D6B9E6.jpeg

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will. it will also soften chemical bond on the sensor and the fumes will crack to top of the reservoir as well. been there done that.

That sucks. Thanks for letting me know. At least it's still usable right now. will get the Nopx out somehow. Hate it happened to you as well but makes me feel better that I'm not alone. Think I'll just manually dose Nopox going forward :(

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont. I did order another bottle to fill the rest of the DDR lol but dont have it yet. Just siphoned out the nopox, which i do not recommend. Cleaned the DDR and hoping it doesnt crack anymore. I siphoned all the Nopox into an empty TM All for Reef container. Drilled a hole in the lid and inserted the DOS tubing. Not pretty but it works

OP
OP
SoAg Reefer

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the bottle still its setup to dose from you just need the tubing.

Do you know if the DOS pump still works with an empty DDR container? Ive played around with the settings but don't know how to deactivate the DDR cylinder that is empty. All I did was empty it, clean it and put the tube connected to DOS into the new container leaving the DDR empty for now. Well one side is still full but the side that contained the Nopox is empty

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back