DE MH shield replacement what glass??

Spiderguardnano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2014
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
164
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so i need to get a shield made for my fixture was wondering what glass to use to for the shield

Tempered glass?
Special uv glass?

I was reading that tempered glass at about 3/16 should work
 
So I went with tempered glass
I asked the person who was helping if it had some uv protection and she said no which surprised me because envy thing I read states that all tempered glass has some sort of uv protection

She said they would have to search for it because they never order any sort of special uv protection that is what made me just go with the regular tempered glass
 
So I went with tempered glass
I asked the person who was helping if it had some uv protection and she said no which surprised me because envy thing I read states that all tempered glass has some sort of uv protection

She said they would have to search for it because they never order any sort of special uv protection that is what made me just go with the regular tempered glass

I believe uv-b protection is an inherent quality of glass. What we hear discussed by window manufacturers as an optional film is uv-a protection. It is believed that uv-a is beneficial to coral. But I am not expert so if there is an expert out there, feel free to inform us correctly. Tempered is also key, so that was the right choice :)
 
Fishphi784 is correct. Average glass (main components being silicon and dioxide sodium dioxide) will have a band gap of about 4 eV which prevents absorption of any photons having less energy than UVB light. Less energy means longer wavelength which is your visible spectrum (UVA). So the visible spectrum is transmitted through glass whereas the high energy, low wavelength UVB light's photons are absorbed by the glass.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new