DEAD CONDUCTIVITY PROBE AFTER 7 DAYS

Digicop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On May 27, 2023, I installed the Neptune Systems Lab Grade Conductivity Probe (Part No. PRBCOND) onto my Apex EL using the PM3 module. Everything worked perfectly for 7 days until this morning when I woke up to find my salinity reading for the probe was 0. I did some research and tried the recommended fixes.

I unplugged the probe, rebooted the apex, ran the calibration with the probe not connected, rebooted, replaced probe, and recalibrated. During calibration, the dry reading was 16 and solution reading was 18. After these failed numerous times, I deleted the PM3 module, rebooted and reinstalled the PM3 module. I then did the salinity probe recalibration without it being plugged in, reboot and recalibrate, with the same results.

I reviewed my log to determine the probe was working until 07:30 when the conductivity reading dropped from 33.9 to 5.68 then to 0. The entry immediately before this was a Kalkweiser doser plug activated for 1 minute 30 seconds. I can’t imagine how this could have any correlation to the probe having stopped working.

Anyone have any suggestions? If the probe is bad, will Neptune warranty it? My local fish store where it was purchased will not.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the reviews on it. Seems like a common occurance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Kalkwasser empty into the sump directly onto the probe? Otherwise I don’t see how the two things would be related, at all.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 and they are pretty bad but never had one completely fail. Usually, they just slowly get more inaccurate. My current was recently calibrated and reads 38 on 35 actual salinity (hydrometer and calibrated hanna). I have always said never use it to control anything just an indicator for me to check by more accurate means.

Kinda shocked after a week a shop won't at least replace defective product. Most reputable places give you at least 30 days before it goes to manufacturer warranty. Think that's a situation where I might be tempted to let my CC company deal with them and get a refund. With a receipt I'm sure Apex will "diagnose" and replace it if they can't fix.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back