Dead seahorses, please help to find the causes

mollies123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is heartbreaking. I have a 24 Nano tank with 2 baby seahorses. Last couple of days the water get really cloudy but the water parameter is all good. No ammonia, no nitrite. The only thing I can think of is that when I did the water change, my husband made a media reactor bag which is filled with searched phosbanf and some activated carbon. Yesterday I went out, my husband decided to make a online nano reactor. I attached a picture. He put carbon and phosband iN it. I came home, the water is so cloudy and dark and both seahorses were dead. He didn't think he did anything wrong. I am looking for answers

20180715_151141.jpg

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the water quality was very poor. If the water is filled with gfo and carbon dust no animal is going to be happy in that situation. In the future always rinse media before use. To clear is the current issue I would recommend water changes. Dead animals will increase nh4 and ultimately nitrate.

OP
OP
mollies123

mollies123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is the water quality was very poor. If the water is filled with gfo and carbon dust no animal is going to be happy in that situation. In the future always rinse media before use. To clear is the current issue I would recommend water changes. Dead animals will increase nh4 and ultimately nitrate.
agreed. would you connect that bottle directly to the return pump? he doesnt think he did anything wrong

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is heartbreaking. I have a 24 Nano tank with 2 baby seahorses. Last couple of days the water get really cloudy but the water parameter is all good. No ammonia, no nitrite. The only thing I can think of is that when I did the water change, my husband made a media reactor bag which is filled with searched phosbanf and some activated carbon. Yesterday I went out, my husband decided to make a online nano reactor. I attached a picture. He put carbon and phosband iN it. I came home, the water is so cloudy and dark and both seahorses were dead. He didn't think he did anything wrong. I am looking for answers

20180715_151141.jpg
I am very sorry for your losses. It is heartbreaking. Rinsing media is important but having kept seahorses for almost 4 years, it surprises me that that would kill them. Your husband's media reactor looks like a good design and carbon does help absorb DOC, which can be problematic to seahorses.

Keeping seahorses is different than other saltwater fish. They are very susceptible to bacterial infections and that is not something you can measure by checking your parameters, which can make keeping them tricky. The only way to insure they do not succumb to bacterial infections is doing over the top husbandry and frequent large water changes so that the tank is not favorable to pathogenic bacteria. Also keeping the water temperature at 74° F or lower is necessary if you are feeding frozen mysis.

If you would like to try seahorses again there is some good information stickied that can help you learn how keeping them differs from other marine aquaria.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless carbon is tightly packed with slow flow itll get crushed and make dust so hooking to return pump was probably not good...and both must be properly rinsed prior. Sorry for your losses..

OP
OP
mollies123

mollies123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very sorry for your losses. It is heartbreaking. Rinsing media is important but having kept seahorses for almost 4 years, it surprises me that that would kill them. Your husband's media reactor looks like a good design and carbon does help absorb DOC, which can be problematic to seahorses.

Keeping seahorses is different than other saltwater fish. They are very susceptible to bacterial infections and that is not something you can measure by checking your parameters, which can make keeping them tricky. The only way to insure they do not succumb to bacterial infections is doing over the top husbandry and frequent large water changes so that the tank is not favorable to pathogenic bacteria. Also keeping the water temperature at 74° F or lower is necessary if you are feeding frozen mysis.

If you would like to try seahorses again there is some good information stickied that can help you learn how keeping them differs from other marine aquaria.
Thank you so much. It might be the carbon dust that suffocate them. as one of them was dead hitching on top of the tank like he needs oxgen. They both were baby louburi. very fragile. I just bought a chiller for them . I was too worried every day . I might look for some seahorses later , but not right now

OP
OP
mollies123

mollies123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless carbon is tightly packed with slow flow itll get crushed and make dust so hooking to return pump was probably not good...and both must be properly rinsed prior. Sorry for your losses..
yes, it was hooked pretty tight. and he doesnt think the flow is tight.its very possible the dust suffocate them.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you checked PH and alk? a sudden drop can be the cause, as well as a lack of oxygen, a important change in salinity as you did a water change... Also a termal shock...
It s nearly impossible to say it s because of the diy reactor or not
24 gllons is too small, you have no idea of how much organics seahorses produce, even young ones
Could have been high nitrates...
If it is a AIO setup, there is no way it can works with classical maintenance for seahorses

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back