OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangely one of my big trochus snails is on top of my big infected torch now on the damaged heads. No snail has ever climbed on top of my torches before. Maybe I should put some peanut butter in the tank and see if he likes PBJ?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least it sounds like you got most of it off before dipping. Do this with all of them. You can scrub the dead areas gently with a soft toothbrush prior to dipping as well. I'm glad to hear that you're taking a more active approach at this point. You may have to dip some more than once but give them several days to recover in between. Keep the dips short, no more than 3-4 min. tops, and the concentration around 1/15 - 1/20 of peroxide. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets easier as your tank matures you'll have less and less problems. Once coralline covers your rock completely algae has a harder time taking hold and once your frags grow into colony's they'll be alot more forgiving and less prone to disease. I struggled immensely on my first tank to the point of contemplating going back to just fresh herps and amphibians. But eventually the struggle ended and my tank never gave me any problems for years. Until the seam gave and it flooded my livingroom...
Do you know why it gave out

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know why it gave out

I have heard from some people that seams give out sometimes due to powerheads that make the flow in our tanks. Say you have an MP 40 set to pulse mode at 90% and that jolt of water strikes the glass on the other side and then multiply that by how many times a day that happens and I can see fatigue failure setting in at some point.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least it sounds like you got most of it off before dipping. Do this with all of them. You can scrub the dead areas gently with a soft toothbrush prior to dipping as well. I'm glad to hear that you're taking a more active approach at this point. You may have to dip some more than once but give them several days to recover in between. Keep the dips short, no more than 3-4 min. tops, and the concentration around 1/15 - 1/20 of peroxide. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

Any chance those dead areas will ever grow back or is it just better to cut them off?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance those dead areas will ever grow back or is it just better to cut them off?
On branching corals I'd cut dead branches off. Gives new branches more room to grow. It could help to remove more of the problem as well.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find an online place for ciprofloaxin to treat the tank? One that does not require a vet prescription.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find an online place for ciprofloaxin to treat the tank? One that does not require a vet prescription.
Chewy.com used to sell it without Rx. I'm guessing they still do. You could try there. Be very careful dosing antibiotics into the tank if you haven't worked with them before. I've read that cipro can kill your nitrifying bacteria. I haven't tried it. @Humblefish would be one to talk to if you decide to go that route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chewy.com used to sell it without Rx. I'm guessing they still do. You could try there. Be very careful dosing antibiotics into the tank if you haven't worked with them before. I've read that cipro can kill your nitrifying bacteria. I haven't tried it. @Humblefish would be one to talk to if you decide to go that route.
Going to need to try it. Disease is spreading to other pieces now and dips are not effective. Lost 2 torches and small duncan overnight. It's heading towards a complete wipe out now.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can't get cipro without a prescription. Just dosed the tank with chemiclean to see if it has any affect on the plague.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So added the chemiclean earlier today. Although I lost corals overnight things seem relatively stable right now. A few torches are half closed but nothing looks an imminent danger. I hope this has some positive results in 48 hours.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean seems to have stalled the death march somewhat. my torches that are half closed up have not gotten any worse. My big hammer closed up today though which has me worried but I see no obvious signs of jelly disease on it. First time I have ran a tank with no skimmer and no media other then a sock. Got my phosphate at .10 now which I am ok with and Nitrate at 5ppm. I think when this event passes, I may only use carbon in my media cup nothing else that limits phosphate or nitrate. But I am adding 3 more fish this week so curious how my numbers will change again. I would really like to have a stable tank of fish to help provide nutrients for the corals. NOt really sure how I will ever be able to get the jelly bacteria out of the tank.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lost another torch today but my remaining euphylias are hanging in there. This is day 2 of the chemiclean treatment. Not sure if it did anything to kill off the jelly bacteria but overall it has my tank looking clear and mostly healthy.

I really have learned something here are running the tank with no media or skimmer for 2 days. Just seems like a more simple natural approach may work better in my set up versus adding different things to keep the water nice and parameters in check.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.
I really find it hard to believe that the various big distributors have not come up with a viable treatment solution for this bacteria. The individual dips seem ineffective because the corals are weakened and placed back into the environment where the bacteria is in the water column. I'm leaning towards a UV next. One that I can hang on and use temporarily as needed.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really find it hard to believe that the various big distributors have not come up with a viable treatment solution for this bacteria. The individual dips seem ineffective because the corals are weakened and placed back into the environment where the bacteria is in the water column. I'm leaning towards a UV next. One that I can hang on and use temporarily as needed.
I'm no expert by any means but it seems from what I've read Cipro is the only help for corals with bacterial infection. Just found out a buddy of mine has some that he stored when he got a stomach virus that he will let me use if I ever need it. It's annoying that we can not buy it without prescription to attempt to save our corals.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert by any means but it seems from what I've read Cipro is the only help for corals with bacterial infection. Just found out a buddy of mine has some that he stored when he got a stomach virus that he will let me use if I ever need it. It's annoying that we can not buy it without prescription to attempt to save our corals.

Yea I cant find it anywhere and I'm sure my vet won't prescribe it for corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back