Death Chamber

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently moved and reset-up a 65 gal FWLR tank on 10/1/2017. it has an UGF with crushed coral substrate. The 90 lbs of previous live rock died in the move. The dead-rock were cleaned, power washed and let dried before slowing being introduced into the tank. The tank has cycled and has been stable for > 60 days. Water tests are constant: Salt = 1.025, PH=8.2, Ammonium = 0, Nitrate = 0 and Nitrate < 5.0 ppm. I have introduced a clean-up crew with 3 Damsels into the tank starting 12/1. the Damsels live 5-7 days, the clean-up crew is doing ok. One Damsel and a pair of peppermint shrimp has made it 45+ days. Did 2, 20% water changes (12/15 & 1/15) with substrate vacuuming. I put a pair of 1.5 inch clown fish in the tank. one lasted 18 hours the other 30 hours. I am thinking of breaking down my saltwater deathchamber. Thoughts?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently moved and reset-up a 65 gal FWLR tank on 10/1/2017. it has an UGF with crushed coral substrate. The 90 lbs of previous live rock died in the move. The dead-rock were cleaned, power washed and let dried before slowing being introduced into the tank. The tank has cycled and has been stable for > 60 days. Water tests are constant: Salt = 1.025, PH=8.2, Ammonium = 0, Nitrate = 0 and Nitrate < 5.0 ppm. I have introduced a clean-up crew with 3 Damsels into the tank starting 12/1. the Damsels live 5-7 days, the clean-up crew is doing ok. One Damsel and a pair of peppermint shrimp has made it 45+ days. Did 2, 20% water changes (12/15 & 1/15) with substrate vacuuming. I put a pair of 1.5 inch clown fish in the tank. one lasted 18 hours the other 30 hours. I am thinking of breaking down my saltwater deathchamber. Thoughts?

Sorry for your losses. Where are you getting the fish from? Are you QTing Fish? The hobby today is full of Marine Velvet Disease. Have you noticed any spots on the fish or anything out of the ordinary before they die?

OP
OP
S

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I don't want to give up the hobby but do't want to keep killing fish. :( I purchased the fish Damsels from 2 different LFS, Had the water checked by each and was told its good. I'm wondering if the rocks are releasing something killing the fish. Not sure where to go from here. Thinking of taking the rock from the tank and buying some new live rock (they don't sell "cured" live-rock near me) and doing a 50% water change.

OP
OP
S

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looked fine in the store. I'm almost certain there is something in the water.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any spots on the fish? Scratching? Flashing? Swimming in to powerheads? Twitching? Heavy breathing? Discoloration? Redness around gills? Hiding from light?

OP
OP
S

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None at all. The fish looked health and were eating. They start struggling then sink to the bottom and die - like they are paralyzed. It happens after they been in the tank 18-72 hours. I'm thinking there is a chemical residue or toxin in the water likely coming from the rocks or crushed coral. all were thoroughly cleaned before setting up the tank. I drained the tanks and sold it this afternoon.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the damsel alive?

OP
OP
S

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 was and 2 shrimp were. I took a voltage reading before the teardown it was 45.5v with 2 powerheads and heater were plugged in. Separately each item added less than 4v but when all were plugged in the total was more than 45v?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 was and 2 shrimp were. I took a voltage reading before the teardown it was 45.5v with 2 powerheads and heater were plugged in. Separately each item added less than 4v but when all were plugged in the total was more than 45v?

That sounds like stray voltage. A million volts wont kill you if there is no amperage. If you register amps thats a problem.

Is it possible the damsel remaining bullied them to death?

OP
OP
S

Shewdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I gave up in frustration :( I'm new to the area and couldn't get help. The LFS stopped helping me (I bought $300 worth of supplies and fish (I killed the fish) and could have used advice but i think the owner felt I wanted my $ back. I didn't, just help) Another FS wanted didnt want to tale to me unless I bought more stuff that I didn't need before they'd help (can't say I totally blame them, they need to make a living too). I think contaminated the rock when cleaning them. the other fish were smaller and died quicker- the bigger fish will die too from it.
The voltage was 45v (very high) I've been told that stray current regardless of the amount shouldn't kill fish unless the fish somehow complete the circuit - like birds setting on a high voltage power line. That is was more of a risk to me if i touched a ground with my hand in the water. I felt safe as the tank was on a GFI plug.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that really does sound frustrating. The damsels and clowns are about as hardy as you can get. Given how patient you were with startup and letting the rock cure I'm really surprised with the result. I too suspect the one damsel, but only you can observe and determine. I had one chromis in QT kill everything else in the tank - at night. If not the damsel then what you need is data - I'd suggest sending water samples in for more thorough testing - either Triton or ATI test kits. Takes 1-2 weeks to get your results back but at least then you'd be informed. Unfortunately it does cost a little more money...
There is one famous member here who does like his crushed coral UGF but it is certainly a rarity in the hobby these days. If you do decide to restart with clean new rock (no need to get 'cured' or 'live' rock) then you might consider doing away with the UGF as well. Rock structure first, then sand filled in around the rocks. Rinse the sand well in a bucket to remove the cloudiness first.
Add any of the bacteria in a bottle products to kick start the cycle. Give that damsel back to LFS to eliminate the possibility.

stinkyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but maybe lack of oxygen in the water? do you have your surface water churning a bit? hows your flow in the tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back