Wrasse lovers, what would you add?

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the tail end of adding livestock to my 240g. Tank is 84in wide with a few inches thick substrate.

Inhabitants are tangs, rabbit fish, a few reef chromis, two clowns, two dwarf angels, two mandarin gobies, and engineer goby.

Fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, hermits and snails make up the clean up crew.

I would like to avoid the color yellow as the dominant color, but other than that I’m kind of overwhelmed by how many choices there are. Any suggestions to narrow it down would be helpful.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres marginatus
Halichoeres pallidus
Macropharyngodon bipartitis
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Lots of options for flashers and fairies. If you get familiar with wrasse acclimation and care, then Anampses would be nice in that big tank.

What is the aggression level in your tank?

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres marginatus
Halichoeres pallidus
Macropharyngodon bipartitis
Macropharyngodon negrosensis

Lots of options for flashers and fairies. If you get familiar with wrasse acclimation and care, then Anampses would be nice in that big tank.

What is the aggression level in your tank?
Non-aggressive. Some mild chasing away from certain areas, but it’s never resulted in injury or stress and the fish very often all swim together and openly coexist.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like almost impossible, or keep an eye on it? These tangs are surprisingly peaceful, I think because they are over fed (fleece roller keeps things super clean)
You definitely want an acclimation box. I would then start with a Halichoeres wrasse as they are tougher. See how that goes and then maybe try some others.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the tail end of adding livestock to my 240g. Tank is 84in wide with a few inches thick substrate.

Inhabitants are tangs, rabbit fish, a few reef chromis, two clowns, two dwarf angels, two mandarin gobies, and engineer goby.

Fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, hermits and snails make up the clean up crew.

I would like to avoid the color yellow as the dominant color, but other than that I’m kind of overwhelmed by how many choices there are. Any suggestions to narrow it down would be helpful.
This depends on the specifics of what fish exactly you have and not just the families :)

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This depends on the specifics of what fish exactly you have and not just the families :)
Sailfin tang, blue tang, yellow tang, power brown and blue. Lemon peel and coral beauty angels. Two regular clowns. 3 green reef chromis. 2 blue mandarin gobies. Two engineer gobies.

Ironfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with a similar tank I've had no issues adding wrasses with a big group of established tangs and others.
260gal
I have achilles, powder blue, sohal, white tail, purple, 2 yellow.
Angels I have emperor, majestic and pymys cherub and potteri.
Plus a group of barlett anthias, 2 pink skunk clowns and some gobies.

Established wrasses include a cleaner, a possum and a mystery.
Later I added a pink streak , a timor and a mccoskeri.
I only lost a rhomboid wrasse bc he/she jumped out of the tank :(

The only change I started to consider over the last couple weeks is to take the Sohal out bc he's just too bully with all the other tangs. I got him small and young and added him to the established group of tangs in my previous tank knowing one day he would become the boss. But from boss he became an a++hole.
If I end up doing so I'll add a few small fish and most likely a few wrasses. Leopard, choati, yellowtail, etc.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin tang, blue tang, yellow tang, power brown and blue. Lemon peel and coral beauty angels. Two regular clowns. 3 green reef chromis. 2 blue mandarin gobies. Two engineer gobies.
Those powders and sailfin are a high risk of aggression in the long term.

A biota cleaner wrasse is a good idea. (Wild caught have a very low survival rate). Lined wrasse like the mystery will do well but could become very territorial and some consider them to dangerous. Halichoeres and Anampses tamarins would be other considerations.

Finally if you are willing to risk the shrimp there a lot of awesome bigger wrasse I could recommend.

OP
OP
S

sogdog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those powders and sailfin are a high risk of aggression in the long term.

A biota cleaner wrasse is a good idea. (Wild caught have a very low survival rate). Lined wrasse like the mystery will do well but could become very territorial and some consider them to dangerous. Halichoeres and Anampses tamarins would be other considerations.

Finally if you are willing to risk the shrimp there a lot of awesome bigger wrasse I could recommend.
If you wouldn’t mind, I’ll happily take suggestions and keep in mind that they aren’t guaranteed safe for the shrimp. I’m still in the research phase for this.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wouldn’t mind, I’ll happily take suggestions and keep in mind that they aren’t guaranteed safe for the shrimp. I’m still in the research phase for this.
Harlequin tuskfish
Seagrass wrasse (one of the most entertaining fish but can be a boring brown)
Dragon wrasse (like the former but bigger and more aggressive)
Red coris wrasse
Blue head wrasse (or other Thalassoma but the bigger ones are very aggressive)
A hogfish (any species less then 10”)
Bird wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back