What, if any, fish would you add?

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 40G breeder. Currently FOWLR: pair of long fin clowns, banggai cardinal, & royal gramma. No coral yet, but will eventually add hammers & torches. 3-4 blue legged hermit crabs and 1 cleaner shrimp.

What interesting fish would work with current tank mates?

Running Tidal HOB filter, Octo 1000 Classic skimmer, and two wave makers. Lights are basic LED (will upgrade before adding first coral).

The female clown great with current fish but last month, an attempt was made to add a couple of chromis and she was very aggressive towards them.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I added 3 anthias (2 lyretails and 1 dispar) to my 40 breeder, I know I'm cheating on the tank size a little, but my tank was understocked and its basically their tank. Very peaceful with tankmates, always swimming and active, colorful, well behaved fish. But they aren't able to fight off a clown.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of your fish stay in one area and aren't real active around the tank. I would think you might want to get some more swimming action in the tank.

For that I would recommend: Sml Blue Hippo Tang, Flame Angel, Cherub Angel, Flameback Angel, Sml Female Bellus Angel, Perhaps a pair or trio of small yellow coris wrasses.

For some activity in the tank - but amoungst the rock work and not in the open water - Captive bred pseudochromis: Springeri, Sankeyi, Flaviritex, Fridmandi, Aldabrensis - Captive bred these are great lil community fish. They don't spend much time in open water areas of the tank. But with several of them in the tank - You could easily add up to 6-8 of them - they would be wigglin in and out of the rocks all the time.

If you like how your existing fish all have their 'areas' of the tank and want to keep things that way - Look for some assesors. These are amazing lil groups of fish that will find an area of the tank to hang out in, and litterally hang out - upside down, sideway, inverted, retroverted, they swim in all different positions.

Also you could look at getting a trio or quad of Bar Gobies, Firefish or Purple Firefish.

Dave B

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of your fish stay in one area and aren't real active around the tank. I would think you might want to get some more swimming action in the tank.

For that I would recommend: Sml Blue Hippo Tang, Flame Angel, Cherub Angel, Flameback Angel, Sml Female Bellus Angel, Perhaps a pair or trio of small yellow coris wrasses.

For some activity in the tank - but amoungst the rock work and not in the open water - Captive bred pseudochromis: Springeri, Sankeyi, Flaviritex, Fridmandi, Aldabrensis - Captive bred these are great lil community fish. They don't spend much time in open water areas of the tank. But with several of them in the tank - You could easily add up to 6-8 of them - they would be wigglin in and out of the rocks all the time.

If you like how your existing fish all have their 'areas' of the tank and want to keep things that way - Look for some assesors. These are amazing lil groups of fish that will find an area of the tank to hang out in, and litterally hang out - upside down, sideway, inverted, retroverted, they swim in all different positions.

Also you could look at getting a trio or quad of Bar Gobies, Firefish or Purple Firefish.

Dave B
That’s exactly the advice I need. And you’re right, yes, they all have their own areas of the tank. Thank you!

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I wouldn't do a tang in a 40B. 3 feet is not enough swimming room. I wouldn't add a dwarf angel either.

Canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) would probably be fine.

Other ideas:
- Tailspot or Pictus Blenny
- Firefish
- Court Jester or Hector's Goby
- Fairy Wrasse (Lunatus or Lubbocki Complex)
- 1x Starck's Damsel (seasonally available)
- Springer's or Talbot's Damsel
- Pink Streaked Wrasse
- Banggai or Pajama cardinals
- Striped Blenny

Note: you NEED a good lid that covers the whole tank if you get a wrasse or firefish. Should have one for any fish, to be honest.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd be looking at nano gobies and fairy wrasses and a tail spot blenny. I would not do a tang even if 'small
If it were me, I'd be looking at nano gobies and fairy wrasses and a tail spot blenny. I would not do a tang even if 'small'.
Nano gobies? Will have to read up.

OP
OP
ACW33

ACW33

The Farmer’s Daughter
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, I wouldn't do a tang in a 40B. 3 feet is not enough swimming room. I wouldn't add a dwarf angel either.

Canary wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) would probably be fine.

Other ideas:
- Tailspot or Pictus Blenny
- Firefish
- Court Jester or Hector's Goby
- Fairy Wrasse (Lunatus or Lubbocki Complex)
- 1x Starck's Damsel (seasonally available)
- Springer's or Talbot's Damsel
- Pink Streaked Wrasse
- Banggai or Pajama cardinals
- Striped Blenny

Note: you NEED a good lid that covers the whole tank if you get a wrasse or firefish. Should have one for any fish, to be honest.
Thank you for the feedback!

Yes, I have a screen lid…homemade but works great!☺️

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back