1 Flame Angel
1 Threadfin Butterfly
1 Longnose Butterfly
1 Royal Gramma

My next stocking is going to be:
2 Banggai Cardinals
1 McCosker's Wrasse
1 Exquisite Wrasse

I think I might be reaching my stocking limit soon but I'd also like to add a small group of Zebra Barred Dartfish, probably 4 or so, a Mandarin, and a Yellow Tang down the line. Would I be able to add in everything, or if not what would be able to be put in before I hit the limit?

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 Gal currently stocked with:
2 Clowns
1 Firefish
1 Flame Angel
1 Threadfin Butterfly
1 Longnose Butterfly
1 Royal Gramma

2 Banggai Cardinals
1 McCosker's Wrasse
1 Exquisite Wrasse

I think I might be reaching my stocking limit soon but I'd also like to add a small group of Zebra Barred Dartfish, probably 4 or so, a Mandarin, and a Yellow Tang down the line. Would I be able to add in everything, or if not what would be able to be put in before I hit the limit?
You are getting towards overstock.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion differs from just a yes/no. I would say it depends on the whole system and you decide to add more after letting things settle for a while.
If you've gone a few months since adding any fish and things are going well, try adding a couple more and see how that goes for a while. If you start having aggression or your nutrients get out of control then you know you've found a limit.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion differs from just a yes/no. I would say it depends on the whole system and you decide to add more after letting things settle for a while.
If you've gone a few months since adding any fish and things are going well, try adding a couple more and see how that goes for a while. If you start having aggression or your nutrients get out of control then you know you've found a limit.

Yeah, the future additions take into consideration that my parameters don't go out of whack with the stock that I have coming in. If I see that biologically things are reaching the limit then that'll be the stopping point. I guess I was asking more in terms of space rather than if it would overwhelm the biofilter

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the butterflies that big of poluters?

Its lower than what has been recomended to me for a 75g, but I can't fit a butterfly

Compared to everything else in the tank, yeah. Especially the Threadfin, he lets out a pretty good amount of waste, but he and my Longnose are the heaviest eaters there so I expected that

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have in a Red Sea 525 110 gallon tank,

3 fire fish
2 smaller Wyoming storm clowns
Diamond goby
Blue gudgeon
Scooter blenny
Ruby Red Dragonet
Spotted or Target Mandarin
4 Bangaii Cardinals
Blue eyed kole tang
Powder blue tang
Lavender Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Orange Spotted Rabbit fish.

I have no problem with these fish in this tank with the exception that the rabbit fish has outgrown the tank, he is being moved into a 210 we are stocking now.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uuuuh, that is a loaded question that will need to take nutrient export/import, feeding methodologies and personalities of the fish involved, like agression levels, habitation preference etc.

For example, that may be overstocked if your aquascape is super minimal, ie no hiding/sleeping places and there was minimal to no coral or other nutrient uptake methods. Where as that is no where close to overstocked if the scape was larger including many ways to segment and break up the environment and provide lots of hiding/sleeping places loaded with coral and aggressive nutrient extraction methods. you could easily double the fish count and barely notice.

i have more than that in my 75... but it is mature and i watch how all the fish interact, and make sure they play nice.

1 clown
1 green halichoerse wrasse
1 yellow eye kohl
1 scopas tang
3 pajama cardinals
1 tailspot blenny
1 firefish goby
3 blue-green chromis

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 Gal currently stocked with:
2 Clowns
1 Firefish
1 Flame Angel
1 Threadfin Butterfly
1 Longnose Butterfly
1 Royal Gramma

2 Banggai Cardinals
1 McCosker's Wrasse
1 Exquisite Wrasse

I think youre fine, my 125 is heavier in stock. I have an oversized skimmer and filtration to make up for it and do bigger water changes

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uuuuh, that is a loaded question that will need to take nutrient export/import, feeding methodologies and personalities of the fish involved, like agression levels, habitation preference etc.

For example, that may be overstocked if your aquascape is super minimal, ie no hiding/sleeping places and there was minimal to no coral or other nutrient uptake methods. Where as that is no where close to overstocked if the scape was larger including many ways to segment and break up the environment and provide lots of hiding/sleeping places loaded with coral and aggressive nutrient extraction methods. you could easily double the fish count and barely notice.

i have more than that in my 75... but it is mature and i watch how all the fish interact, and make sure they play nice.

1 clown
1 yellow eye kohl
1 scopas tang
3 pajama cardinals
1 tailspot blenny
1 firefish goby
3 blue-green chromis

My scape looks like this, but I am planning on adding in more rocks/macroalgae as well. I just haven’t seen the right pieces yet when I visit my LFS. In terms of disposition, everyone gets along aside from the occasional chasing by one of my clowns when the butterflies,etc overstay their welcome, but even that is minor.

Attachments

• 4B965B77-9DD7-42BE-BA28-9D6DA1CDFB0E.jpeg
    4B965B77-9DD7-42BE-BA28-9D6DA1CDFB0E.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 50

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 clown
1 yellow eye kohl
1 scopas tang
3 pajama cardinals
1 tailspot blenny
1 firefish goby
3 blue-green chromis
How big is your halichoeres chloropterus? I have one in QT going into my 75G in a month and I was woried about how large I hear they can get.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My scape looks like this, but I am planning on adding in more rocks/macroalgae as well. I just haven’t seen the right pieces yet when I visit my LFS. In terms of disposition, everyone gets along aside from the occasional chasing by one of my clowns when the butterflies,etc overstay their welcome, but even that is minor.
For the fish you want you may want to add denser rockwork so they can have more spots. Ive got some pretty dense rock work in mine that the tangs love to swim in and out of!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You definitely need more hiding places, yeah. I don't really see many good caves in there. You're definitely fine on just a mandarin, though the tank looks too new for one yet. Likely fine with at least some of the others.

Do bear in mind that the fish will grow. A bioload your tank can handle now could very well become one it can't in a few years.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely need more hiding places, yeah. I don't really see many good caves in there. You're definitely fine on just a mandarin, though the tank looks too new for one yet. Likely fine with at least some of the others.

Do bear in mind that the fish will grow. A bioload your tank can handle now could very well become one it can't in a few years.

That pic is a couple months old, I pretty much have pods all over the place now but I'm still going to give it a little more time until a mandarin.

But yes, I'm definitely planning to add more rockwork throughout the tank

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your halichoeres chloropterus? I have one in QT going into my 75G in a month and I was woried about how large I hear they can get.
I had the same worry, but was told they would be fine in a 75. I am going to find out with you though, mine is still young and only 3.5 inches or so. Is yours a PIG? Mine eats nonstop and always has a full belly. When i feed the tank sometimes it eats so much it cant close its mouth all the way...

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same worry, but was told they would be fine in a 75. I am going to find out with you though, mine is still young and only 3.5 inches or so. Is yours a PIG? Mine eats nonstop and always has a full belly. When i feed the tank sometimes it eats so much it cant close its mouth all the way...
Mine is young, 3 inches, watched it decimate a fat bristleworm(might actually be a fire worm) at least an inch longer than him.

I know the rec tank size is 55 or higher, but aparently they get up to 9 inches.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that my latest order is settling in I’m starting to look towards the end of my stocking plans. Current inhabitants are
2 Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish
1 Threadfin
1 Longnose Butterfly
1 Flame Angel
1 McCosker’s
3 Banggai Cardinals (was sent an extra one and everyone survived shipping)
1 Fighting Conch and some assorted snails

The original Exquisite Wrasse didn’t survive shipping so the replacement is coming in a few days along with some trochus snails.

Given that my params remain stable. I’d like to finish out the tank, at least fish wise, with a mandarin, a lyretail anthias (at least one, if I can manage at least a trio that would be nice), a bristletooth tang, a yellow or purple tang, and maybe another wrasse.

That’s at least the list of considerations. Given the new rockwork I added in, would adding in more fish crowd the tank? Which ones could I possibly get away with?

Attachments

• 7F7B2EA1-BB17-4F5D-A106-51BC124CD5C9.jpeg
    7F7B2EA1-BB17-4F5D-A106-51BC124CD5C9.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 26

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back