Would this be overstocked?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
If I’m right, a purple tang gets bigger than a yellow, so yellow might be better. As for a bristletooth, do you have one in mind? I like the white tailed red, not sure if a Tomini is a bristle tooth, but definitely stays smaller and love the orange accents. I keep multiple tangs, but would wonder if having two (even from different family groups) might cause a territorial issue. Back in the day if inexpensive yellows, it was often directed one or three or more. Your butterflies may help in the distraction technique as they are similar shaped.

I love anthias in schools as I enjoy little groups of fish moving about together. Best advice I can give is add slowly and watch what it does to water quality. Also knowing they will produce more waste as they grow. Be prepared to increase maintenance (water changes etc) or add more filtration and export options to accommodate.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m right, a purple tang gets bigger than a yellow, so yellow might be better. As for a bristletooth, do you have one in mind? I like the white tailed red, not sure if a Tomini is a bristle tooth, but definitely stays smaller and love the orange accents. I keep multiple tangs, but would wonder if having two (even from different family groups) might cause a territorial issue. Back in the day if inexpensive yellows, it was often directed one or three or more. Your butterflies may help in the distraction technique as they are similar shaped.

I love anthias in schools as I enjoy little groups of fish moving about together. Best advice I can give is add slowly and watch what it does to water quality. Also knowing they will produce more waste as they grow. Be prepared to increase maintenance (water changes etc) or add more filtration and export options to accommodate.

For the bristletooths I was thinking either a tomini, white tail, or a kole. From what I remember reading it was okay to have another tang as long as they weren't the same genus, given enough space of course.

For the anthias, would I be able to start off with just one and then add in more females later on if my bioload is able to handle it?

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
For the bristletooths I was thinking either a tomini, white tail, or a kole. From what I remember reading it was okay to have another tang as long as they weren't the same genus, given enough space of course.

For the anthias, would I be able to start off with just one and then add in more females later on if my bioload is able to handle it?
Your understanding of the tangs is what is stated, by those of us that ignore the tang police lol. However, a tang can get territorial with another that is not of the same genus. Mine, I have ( in one tank and 6 in another) do show posturing and a little chasing, but because it is t just two they don’t chase the other to death.

As for anthias, I honestly don’t know. I have always tried to add territorial fish in groups if that is how I want them so as not to get one established, prior to introducing more. If you weee to go that way, I would recommend an isolation box, or at least a mirror taped to the outside of the tank to distract. We used that in one of our predator reefs and it worked amazingly well. Could use that if you have an issue with the tangs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back