• Domino Clownfish x2 (George & Weezy)
  • Tailspot Blenny
  • Purplehead Firefish
  • Scarlet Hermit Crab x3
  • BlueLegged Hermit x2
  • Trochus Snail x2
  • Nassarius Snail
  • Flameback Angel (eventually)
  • Yellow Watchman Goby & Pistol Shrimp (eventually)
  • ??? (Undecided)
(Coral)
  • GSP
  • Zoa
  • Blue birdsnest
  • Xenia
  • _____ (Forgot the name!!!)
  • ???? (Undecided)
  • ???? (Undecided)
  • ???? (Undecided)
Welcome to my build thread for my new WB 90.3 I named the DeathStar as an homage to my childhood. It arrived about 2wks ago (8 wks since purchasing) & added water last Weds. It took a couple of days to fix the gurgling sound from the return but I put an extra air-hose from my old skimmer down the line.. kept adjusting the valve slowly & now it’s almost silent. Skimmer is in position but won’t be in used for a while. I’m splitting the sump to make room for a refugium once the tank is settled in. Current livestock are holding tight in 20g AIO while tank cycles.

I bought Seachem Stability to help jumpstart the cycle & started dosing/ghost-feeding Saturday. I had been using flake food the 1st few days but switched to dry shrimp pellets from my daughters FW tank.

I’m on day 4 of a lightless cycle to give the bacteria a headstart.. still very little ammonia to date & wondering if I should increase the daily ghost-feeding amount.

API parameters today;
  • Ammonia - .125
  • Nitrites - 0 ppm
  • Nitrates- 5 ppm
  • PH - 8
I’ll try to update this thread every so often & provide pics of my progress.

19B9A96F-509F-4597-897A-525A01D2E42E.jpeg BB91B44E-20E0-465C-93F5-6D8664EA57AB.jpeg

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st week is down the tubes.. no changes in parameters after adding at least a dozen pellets. I decided to get a better testing kit (Red Sea) & give it a better kick-start w/Dr. Tim’s... just done with API & while I won’t transfer any livestock for at least 2-3 more weeks I’ll know for sure it cycled.

After reading more on that process, I don’t think my 20G was cycled last Spring when I added fish & probably wasn’t for quite a while.

My sump baffle did finally arrive so I’ll post some pics of that sometime this week.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a current pic.. I’m still looking for a solid, but reasonably priced refugium light but haven’t decided on one.

I really like the Tunze 8831 but it’s out if stock everywhere. I’ve debated on getting the AI prime but not sure I want or need to spend $200. We’ll see..

My 2nd powerhead & ATO are still in my 20G but other than that this is pretty much the set-up.

Attachments

• 0D672570-4839-4151-8D75-3BFFB524A63C.jpeg
    0D672570-4839-4151-8D75-3BFFB524A63C.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 62

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry Deathstar as in Star Wars Death Star? A New Hope? The Empire Strikes Back? Return of the Jedi? Or smth else?

Great lookin tank though, love the scape!

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to be extremely straight up with you; The last jedi was the worst movie of the entire saga XD revenge of the sith, empire strikes back are on top :) love the user name though
Rise of Skywalker was probably my favorite but no way Last Jedi was worse than the Phantom Menance & Clone Wars.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rise of Skywalker was probably my favorite but no way Last Jedi was worse than the Phantom Menance & Clone Wars.
Phantom Menace was not that bad. Clone wars, ok fine that couldve been better. But Last Jedi still isnt even top 5. 1. Empire Strikes Back 2. Revenge of the Sith 3. A new hope 4. Return of the Jedi 5. The Force Awakens.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah.. about 5 gallons a week. Sooner than later I’m going to have to break down & buy an RODI unit. Just cheaper & less hassle.. so long as I can figure out where to put it.

I do have a small sink in the liquor cabinet.. but a 30 gal brute trash can is a little eye sore in the living room.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to see a little action wk 2.

PH - 8.0
Ammonia - 4 ppm
Nitrite - 1 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm

I can’t say the numbers match the cycle charts I see on google but I’m pleased the nitrites finally spiked a bit considering they were at zero on the API chart a few days ago. Once that drops to zero again & ammonia is also at zero I ‘think’ I’m cycled.

Hoping the ammonia continues dropping & I can move my fish to their nee home in about a week.

Attachments

• C7AD8791-A8A8-4913-901F-BC13566C9970.png
    C7AD8791-A8A8-4913-901F-BC13566C9970.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 47

KryptonsLast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for you.lol. I'm still shopping around and pricing out tanks and equipment. Does the design of the tank allow for mounting of a single AI prime directly in the middle of the tank? I wouldn't be looking to do any corals straight away so I would be able to get away with just a single light to start and get a second down the line. I don't want to do it if it would be off center cause that would look stupid.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but only if you don’t use the overflow glass top, which just sits on it.

That’s my issue with the lid, I have 2 AI primes mounted & had to construct the lid/mesh top around two mounts and the overflow.

If anyone has a better suggestion I’d be curious how they got around that.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news / bad news.

Tank cycle is moving in the right direction. Nitrates spiked to blood red in the middle of the week but settled down on the weekend. Nitrites also appear to have dropped from midweek spike.

PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0 - .25ppm
Nitrite: 2-5 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm

Bad news.. I live in TX & was w/o power for over 24 hrs. I bought a battery powered air supply & wrapped my 20G in towels/blankets but it wasn’t enough. Water temp got down to 64 degrees & I lost all 4 of my fish, particularly my two clowns (George & Weezy) I’ve had since day 1. The only thing that survived is my cleaner shrimp & about 1/2 of my cuc. My 5 coral frags also appear dead but I’m watching to be sure as the tank heats back up. Such a bummer.

If anyone can recommend a solid solar powered generator ($200 +/-) I can bring into the house next time.. please let me know.

9376361C-2002-4BEC-8A33-6A8431E31E2C.png 21202EBF-6B84-43F9-87C1-A9ACDE613DFD.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back