Debating 2 fish

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I either want a pink streaked wrasse or a geometric Pygmy hawkfish but I’m unsure on which. I have a Biocube 32 and I have/plan to have a pair of clowns a Midas Blenny, and a royal gramma (have the gramma right now). They’re all supposed to be compatible, but I want a fish that is super peaceful. My royal gramma is very peaceful and actively swims everywhere in the tank unlike most grammas. I had clowns that I had to remove because they bullied the gramma, and the gramma started acting differently, so I don’t want anything like this to happen to the gramma with addition of one of these fish. I like everything about both of these fish so I can’t decide. I’ll mostly have open swimming fish so the hawk fish may be a better option. The hawk fish is supposed to be more aggressive than the wrasse, so the wrasse may be a better option. What do y’all think?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse! The hawkfish wouldn't likely be aggressive at all, but wrasses are cool fish. The hawkfish would have a similar start - stop tendency that the blenny likely has.
They like to perch on rocks and things, and while they are cool I think a wrasse adds a bit more personality.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse! The hawkfish wouldn't likely be aggressive at all, but wrasses are cool fish. The hawkfish would have a similar start - stop tendency that the blenny likely has.
They like to perch on rocks and things, and while they are cool I think a wrasse adds a bit more personality.
That’s true. Alright. The wrasse it is!

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you are willing to pay Live Aquaria's high shipping of $40, you can do what I did. Go sign up for email notification and wait. You have to be quick when they get them. I always try to order a couple of fish at a time to take the sting out of shipping.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if you are willing to pay Live Aquaria's high shipping of $40, you can do what I did. Go sign up for email notification and wait. You have to be quick when they get them. I always try to order a couple of fish at a time to take the sting out of shipping.
Signed up for email notifications on both LA and Blue Zoo

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is a good choice. I'll just throw in my experience with my gramma. He was the second fish in my biocube and was similar to yours in that he was always out and about. As I added more fish, he became a terror. Super aggressive little dude. He never hurt anybody, but boy, did he make a show of it. Just throwing that out there that not all grammas are docile and that can change over time.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is a good choice. I'll just throw in my experience with my gramma. He was the second fish in my biocube and was similar to yours in that he was always out and about. As I added more fish, he became a terror. Super aggressive little dude. He never hurt anybody, but boy, did he make a show of it. Just throwing that out there that not all grammas are docile and that can change over time.
Yeah I realized that the gramma is aggressive and not peaceful. I recently added a midas Blenny. They’re fine together, but they don’t like each other. The Midas evicted the gramma out of his second home, but the gramma has seemed to have given up on the fight. Blue zoo actually got a wrasse two days ago but I wasn’t quick enough to snatch

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is a great choice. If you're still interested in getting something to occupy the bottom of the the tank down the road, a Yasha or Watchman goby and pistol shrimp is always a fun pair and very peaceful toward other tankmates. Best of luck finding the wrasse. :)

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse is a great choice. If you're still interested in getting something to occupy the bottom of the the tank down the road, a Yasha or Watchman goby and pistol shrimp is always a fun pair and very peaceful toward other tankmates. Best of luck finding the wrasse. :)
I have a Tiger conch which does its job and more so I feel like I would starve a goby. The hunt for the wrasse has not been easy. I have only gotten one notification it was in stock at blue zoo aquatics and it was quickly scooped up in a matter of hours. I may end up just getting a 6 line after I’m done adding all my fish because of its aggressiveness to new tank mates and also get one or two clowns depending on the bio load.
An alternative to the wrasse is a Flame hawkfish. Fairly peaceful and just an awesome personality.
I have two perching fish in my tank already (Midas Blenny and Royal Gramma) so I feel this would be too much for them to handle.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two perching fish in my tank already (Midas Blenny and Royal Gramma) so I feel this would be too much for them to handle.
I have a Midas blenny, Black neon dottyback and Flame Hawkfish - they all get along great (just thought I’d pass this along).

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tiger conch which does its job and more so I feel like I would starve a goby.
Sorry you're having such a tough time finding the wrasse you're looking for. If you do end up with a six line, you're wise to add it last, that's a solid approach to ease aggression. Regarding the Tiger conch, a diamond goby would likely have a hard time getting enough food with a clean sandbed as they are primarily sand sifters but in my experience, many shrimp gobies such as a yellow watchman, Hi-Fin, or Yasha should be fine with a clean sandbed, they will typically eat frozen food, pellets, and even flake food.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pygmy geometric "hawkfish" (aka "perchlet") in my IM40. It's a lovely fish, but very shy and quite cryptic, and really only emerges at feeding time or at night. It's not at all aggressive, so I have to make sure that it gets its share of mysis. It has to compete with a gluttonous pack made up of a gramma, filefish, coral beauty, flame blenny, and a blood shrimp. You may have to spot feed it if you feed sparsely.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back