Debating switch from Kessil to AI

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents, as someone who has AI over my main tank and went with Kessil for smaller office tank. Sty in the Kessil brand.

Kessil has a good spectrum, and true UV diodes.

AI has the option to mess with the spectrum, while most probably run AB+ which has worked well for me. But AI also doesn’t have true UV, it’s just a purplish color. Also, AI’s can get the lens melted by the Purplish diode, mine personally melted on my 16HD after 8 months of use.

If I were to restart my Nuvo20, my main tank, I would’ve gone the Kessil route; probably a couple of 160’s

At some point, the level of customization is just silly when the vast majority of reefers wants to run a similar spectrum anyway.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say my only opinion on ai

They make a good light that will work for a bit. Ive gone through 2 in a year prime and hydra

They burn out even at half power

Company was no help to me so i bought the hydra out of pocket again just to have it burn out on one side

Fan wont work after months. Along while my Kessle light on my other tanks has no issues and thats that for me

Ive just had a very bad time and I cant speak for everyone but I do not recommend this company in the end.

OP
OP
SchrutesReefs

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They make a good light that will work for a bit. Ive gone through 2 in a year prime and hydra

Company was no help to me so i bought the hydra out of pocket again just to have it burn out on one side

Fan wont work after months. Along while my Kessle light on my other tanks has no issues and thats that for me

Ive just had a very bad time and I cant speak for everyone but I do not recommend this company in the end.
Thanks for your honest input.

melfy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh wow that is pretty intense! Never had an issue with mine, although I've read a few posts about UV burning the lenses! Kessil has a great service IME

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbf don't Kessil lights have a bit of a reputation for not lasting very long?

melfy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbf don't Kessil lights have a bit of a reputation for not lasting very long?
I do remember some people saying their fixture broke just after the 2 year warranty period... That's why I went with aquaknight I figured if I have to replace it in 2 years it's 100$ x2 in total as opposed to a couple of hundreds.

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow that is pretty intense! Never had an issue with mine, although I've read a few posts about UV burning the lenses! Kessil has a great service IME
Its true could be my bad luck, but I won't be burned 3 times
Either way the light grew corals good and had great interface.. when it would turn on -_-

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back