Deciding on Lights Need Advice

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the process of setting up my saltwater tank, and looking for some advice on which light setup I should go with.

Display DIMS: Length 34.79” Width: 10.13” Height: 12.99”

Currently have a brand new A360X and an older A360W, which option would be best for me. I would like to have a mixed reef with easy to medium coral difficulty.

1) Hanging the single A360X and that's it

2) Using the A360X and A360W

3) Selling both units and buying 2 AI Prime 16HDs

Thank you in advance!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely definitely definitely would not sell those for 2 AI Primes. Those are amazing lights and would absolutely be capable of growing ANYTHING in a tank that size including SPS. You might have to mount them pretty high up considering your height is only 13", but easily doable. You have 2 great lights. Keep what you got and mount them!!!

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely definitely definitely would not sell those for 2 AI Primes. Those are amazing lights and would absolutely be capable of growing ANYTHING in a tank that size including SPS. You might have to mount them pretty high up considering your height is only 13", but easily doable. You have 2 great lights. Keep what you got and mount them!!!
I would say use both. I love the Primes. But the kessils are phenomenal lights. why hassle?

Okay I think I'll be sticking with the kessils then lol. The reason why I asked if just sticking with 1 would be fine is that I know the new X is a better light and having it in the middle means the entire tank benefits from it. My concern with using both lights was, I would have to put the X more to one side and kinda take away from the other side of the tank, or do you think I should be fine with it like that, remember it's the A360W, not the WE.
Also, do you have a height in mind as well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it comes down to look. Both lights will grow anything, And that width I would space them so it looks even. Will they produce a similar look color wise?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I think I'll be sticking with the kessils then lol. The reason why I asked if just sticking with 1 would be fine is that I know the new X is a better light and having it in the middle means the entire tank benefits from it. My concern with using both lights was, I would have to put the X more to one side and kinda take away from the other side of the tank, or do you think I should be fine with it like that, remember it's the A360W, not the WE.
Also, do you have a height in mind as well?

Sorry for all the questions.
I would space them evenly and it should be fine. 1 kessil is really only rated for 24" and to be honest, MOST people then still don't like that their is some shading on the edges as Kessil lights are more narrow than most others. Having 2 is perfect. Its only covering around 18" at that point on each and it would be great.

Height Im only making an educated guess here as I've never dealt with such a shallow tank as yours, but I would venture to guess at least 14" high. But to be really sure, you'd have to have a PAR meter. You can also turn down the intensity with Kessils very easily and mount them lower, like 10". I'm just trying to prevent you from having any hotspots.

Those lights are powerful. Hence the reason i say not to give them up. Just get a PAR meter, you can rent one, or try to find someone that has one local and you are set.

OP
OP
H

Hamsnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwair Appreciate the information and all the detail, very helpful, thank you! I will probably rent a par meter and do it to the best of my ability. Thanks again

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that both kessils are the way to go.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back