Deep blue professional rimless tank Bow?

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I was ready to pull the trigger on a new 75 gal deep blue rimless BUT now i am reading that the rimless tanks can and tend to bow? this makes me a little nervous even if it is acceptable for these tanks. Anyone have any experience with tanks Bowing ?

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass tanks really shouldn't bow but many do have a slight bow to them. This has always scared me so I have never gone rimless. However, I really haven't heard of any of these tanks failing with a little bit of a bow.

Last edited:

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon (4 foot long) rimless tank. 1/2 inch thick low iron starfire glass. It bows very very little. It's completely normal. I was initially worried about it until I did research on it and saw that many rimless tanks at all my LFS had it.

They make the glass on rimless tanks thicker so it can withstand the pressure of the water. The bigger concern to me would be to ensure that it's level to alleviate unnecessary pressure

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ease of mind I decided to get a non rimless tank. I don't want to have to worry about this or a blowout in the years to come. Call me paranoid.

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a deep blue 80 (rimless), the black trim on the bottom of the tank cracked. I got rid of it asap, but I had had other deep blue tanks with no issue. At a local LFs this weekend a guy that use to work at a distributor for deep blue was telling me that they assemble there tanks in inexpensive way. Something to do with how the glass sits on the bottom of the tank. Long story short, he mentioned that they don't allow a lot of flexing. This makes sense because the trim on my first deep blue cracked after about 2 months. Idk, I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on a deep blue last weekend (57 rimless w/DB stand) and ran into that guy. Through me for a loop and I ended up going with a reefer 250.

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally going with a reefer 250 but they kept NSA expensive at over 1200 bucks. I was going to do a diy stand which will save me some for a good skimmer

baktabiznis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally going with a reefer 250 but they kept NSA expensive at over 1200 bucks. I was going to do a diy stand which will save me some for a good skimmer

Yeah I have done couple DIY stands. For some reason I have never save any money lol.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a deep blue 80 (rimless), the black trim on the bottom of the tank cracked. I got rid of it asap, but I had had other deep blue tanks with no issue. At a local LFs this weekend a guy that use to work at a distributor for deep blue was telling me that they assemble there tanks in inexpensive way. Something to do with how the glass sits on the bottom of the tank. Long story short, he mentioned that they don't allow a lot of flexing. This makes sense because the trim on my first deep blue cracked after about 2 months. Idk, I was minutes away from pulling the trigger on a deep blue last weekend (57 rimless w/DB stand) and ran into that guy. Through me for a loop and I ended up going with a reefer 250.

Rimless tanks need mats at the bottom. Good luck with the new tank

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was amazed when I got various quotes from custom tank builders the variety of approaches that were proposed. Only two companies impressed me with their care and caution about making it strong enough. The lowest quote for a 4x2x2 120G rimless was suggesting only 1/2" glass. zoikes! The Aqueon I ended up getting has 1/2" glass and is of course trimmed and has a center brace.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back