Deep Ocean Sump? Plankton in Our Tanks? Redfield Ratio? Many Qs!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Redfield might be a decent starting point for dosing both N and P if neither are detectable. Trial and error will tell you over time what ratio works best. :)

Can you explain what you mean? The red field ratio is the content of the elements in the organisms (as you stated) - the interesting thing about the ratio was it's consistency across many if not all oceans. As I think you stated before - I also can't see why dosing anything based on the Redfield ratio would be helpful. As I understand it - it has very little to do with the contents of the water surrounding the phytoplankton.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what you mean? The red field ratio is the content of the elements in the organisms (as you stated) - the interesting thing about the ratio was it's consistency across many if not all oceans. As I think you stated before - I also can't see why dosing anything based on the Redfield ratio would be helpful. As I understand it - it has very little to do with the contents of the water surrounding the phytoplankton.

If you have to start at some ratio of dosing (if you look at it that way), and you already dose a certain amount of nitrate, you could use the Redfield ratio to pick a starting dose of phosphate based on the nitrate.

or you could just start at, say, 0.01 ppm phosphate per day, regardless of how much nitrate you dose. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have to start at some ratio of dosing (if you look at it that way), and you already dose a certain amount of nitrate, you could use the Redfield ratio to pick a starting dose of phosphate based on the nitrate.

or you could just start at, say, 0.01 ppm phosphate per day, regardless of how much nitrate you dose. :D
Thanks!

OP
OP
jzw

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey, you guys are way way off your game! especially you @Sallstrom lol

no one mentioned steve tyree's zonal research and ebooks - it's like the deep ocean sump concept. he also talks about pelagic zooplankton in aquarium cryptic zones.

https://www.reeffarmers.com/newbook.htm

i just read CMAT vol 1 and 2 and his video. very interesting -- i'll do a build thread when i add a zonal sump to my system, hopefully later this week. :)

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 27 20.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 32 23.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back