DeepSouth's misadventures in Reefing (RS625)

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear about the stand. I just cant help but think about the weight of water, glass rock and sand. Thanks for the tip about the ATO. The ATO is the one thing I'm not sure I like. Did you just replace valve or go with a completely different reservoir set up as well?

Thing is with a relatively static downward load, there stands are pretty strong for that weight - its when/if things start to shift that there would be issues. Still, you do need to be careful with piercing the epoxy paint on the stand, because if the inner material gets super wet, then the particle board can swell and lead to some structural issues.

As for the ATO, glad you figured out the problem! I didnt use the Red Sea one for very long at all. I really like the pressure switch and peristaltic setup that came with the Avast Marine ATO and went with that, and a line to a remote reservoir. Ive been running that setup on several tanks in the past eight or so years and its never had an issue. In the past year or so, Ive also been running an Apex ATO, with the optical eyes and float valves, when Ive had to remove the Avast ATO for maintenance. I have a full Apex setup, so I like to controllability and other options of that unit. I think the best stand alone ATO setup that time tested and user friendly is the TUNZE ATO - its well work the money and those things just flat out work.

Ive heard good things about the Red Sea skimmers, and they look quite nice, so hopefully that works out well for you too.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was quick.

I think the tank cycled. For those that missed it I was soaking dry rock for a few months in bacteria and food. Plus added 20% live rock from LFS. A couple days after fill water tested at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 on nitrates.

I dropped a couple large shrimp an two days later .02 ammonia .2 nitrites.

Now reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and slightly above 5 on nitrates. Will wait a couple days and test again. It will be a while before fish are added so I am in no rush.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that was quick.

I think the tank cycled. For those that missed it I was soaking dry rock for a few months in bacteria and food. Plus added 20% live rock from LFS. A couple days after fill water tested at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 on nitrates.

I dropped a couple large shrimp an two days later .02 ammonia .2 nitrites.

Now reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and slightly above 5 on nitrates. Will wait a couple days and test again. It will be a while before fish are added so I am in no rush.

Following along. Fellow noob here. Looks like you are off to a great start already

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo shot of my protection devices. The box plugged into the socket converts any outlet into a GFCI. I bought mine off Amazon, but noticed
protection.jpg
Lowes sells them now.

The black plug is a ground probe. The grey plug is a heavy duty appliance extension cord (20 amps) the socket is a 20 amp socket. The cord leads to a "DJ switch" box, but I dont have a shot of it because I'm embarassed by the mess in the dry side of the stand.

The grey box on the ground behind the stand is a moisture alarm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did decide to go with a GFCI even though there is a risk of a false shutdown. I figure it is better to face that risk because with my luck going without GFCI would end in declining property value and life insurance payouts.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the next couple of days I will outline plans for the tank. I plan to take things slow. Now that ammonia and nitrites are zero I will ghost feed while building the biodiversity of the tank. I realize some of this will be a waste of $$, but I'm curious what the results will be. Current plan is:

1.Verify ammonia is zero
2. Add product called Helix purple/pink which claims to be coralline algae (different species)
3. Start dosing photo and adding copepods and amphipods
4. Add selected inverts

Then the tank will sit for 2 1/2 months before adding fish.

Do any of you have additional ideas of adding biodiversity to a new tank?

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new salt setup. It’s like freshwater but a little more challenging. Like the next level of the fish keeping hobby.

Your learning a lot already! If you can learn from mistakes on the fly, your going to do amazing in this hobby. May be a lot of set backs with the learning curve but you’ll definitely come out ahead.

Don’t worry about that hose thing. Been doing this for 26 years. I still get water on the floor from time to time. Sometimes enough to warrant the water sucker upper.

Wire mess is normal to. You always see the neat setups on here. What you don’t see is the other 90% of bird and rat nest pictures!

Mine was the same when I started. As I figured out how I wanted everything I started cleaning up my wires and plumbing. Neatness comes with time and boredom, lol.

Mine is still not “show quality” but every thing is managed now.

Even if something feels embarrassing to you, feel free to post it. We all have those feelings. Luckily this forum is a safe space, sort of, and everyone wants to help and see you succeed. No one makes fun of issues around here.

Good reefing and keep us posted!

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the words of encouragement

Don’t worry about that hose thing
It was one of those things that was so unbelievable it was funny. My wife, when she walked it thought the tank had leaked, so she was more relieved than anything.
I figured out how I wanted everything I started cleaning up my wires and plumbing
I may have to build an equipment cabinet. I bought an MP60 and the controller cord that attaches to the pump isnt long enough to stretch to the far side of the cabinet and mount the way I want it to.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this came today. It is billed as coralline in a bottle. It is supposed to have 13 species if you use both kinds (pink and purple). Was expecting this to not come until Tuesday, so really pleased with their response time. I will post a full tank shot later today, and we can see if coralline appears faster than expected.

coralline.jpg

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice,good luck with your tank.The best advice I can give you take it slow and never be afraid to learn from others.The best way to get coraline to start growing go to your local LFS and ask for some scrapings from one of there tanks or ask a friend for some.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello neighbor! (I’m in SC)

That’s a lovely setup for sure. I also started in fresh and moved over salty. I still have two fresh tanks. It’s a big difference in some things and others not so much. I’ll follow along on your adventure :)

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll follow along on your adventure
Thanks for the follow. I had a 55 gallon freshwater for years. Eventually the stand looked like it was going to give out, and I didn't trust the seams. I gave it away and now it serves as a reptile tank. Freshwater wise I am down to a ten gallon and a small beta tank.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is September first I thought it would be good to have a #monthlytankshot even though not much going on, here they are.

Full tank shot

ftsfullsept.jpg

Close up of the island on right. The rocks on bottom are live rock from LFS
lgisldsep.jpg

This is a side shot of the smaller island (one on right)
sidesep.jpg

The purplish color is a trick of the light. Really they are just white. I had to ramp up white to get these shots. I'm getting some color filters, so I can take better pictures in the future.

OP
OP
DeepSouth

DeepSouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first month went as well as expected. We didn't drop the tank the tank doesn't leak and it seems to have cycled.

Tests using Red Sea

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5/6
PH 8.2
Alk Did not run
I do not have a test for phosphate. Should I continue with Red Sea products or branch out? What is your favorite test for PO4, calcium and Mag?

My biggest continuing struggle seems to be with the return chamber volume dropping over time. I expect it is a problem with how I have the ATO set up, but I'm open to other ideas.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 Hanna checker Ca and Mg Red sea

Seconded. The Hanna PO4 checker is as easy and as accurate as you're going to get. The red sea or salifert test kits for Ca and Mg are my go-tos as well. Salifert is a bit cheaper, but Red Sea has nicer testing components that last longer. Either is just as accurate.

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay this came today. It is billed as coralline in a bottle. It is supposed to have 13 species if you use both kinds (pink and purple). Was expecting this to not come until Tuesday, so really pleased with their response time. I will post a full tank shot later today, and we can see if coralline appears faster than expected.

coralline.jpg
I used that and was less than happy. I ended up with bryopsis and no coraline. Used Flucanzole to get rid of the byropsis and ended up with diatoms? brown stringy stuff. over a month later still no coraline.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back