Describe your "Dream" Tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many of us love our tanks and there are Many beautiful tanks on this site. When we got into this hobby, we envisioned what would be our dream tank.
Describe what your dream tank would look like and what size it would be.

Will be interesting to see some of the responses and descriptions given and will inspire the many new members that have joined recently

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 100 gallons or so...not too enormous or anything, one specimen of every Fromia genus starfish, a few Linckia species, Acros like strawberry shortcakes, pipefish, a male Ostracion meleagris Boxfish (those are the blue ones), and I'm sure I'd find new things to add now and then!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, since u asked…I’d step out of my open concept master bedroom and onto the connecting exterior patio. Greet the morning w a nice stretch, giving thanks. Then take a few steps, where the powder white sand wraps around my feet and slowly wade out into it, the crystal clear blue water of my natural reef. Island life.

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like my last tank was pretty close...

Probably would have changed to low iron glass, have it two feet longer and a two feet wider. Height was the max I could deal with and I'm 6'3.

Also, needs somebody to take care of it ;)

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a 40 - 70 gallon lagoon with a variety of uncommon toadstool corals and euphyllia, lots of unique invertebrates. maybe a pair of orange spotted filefish too.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8ft pennisula tank with some elevated, minimalist rockwork & a group of moorish idols.
That is all.:star-struck:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we’re talking completely unrealistic then definitely Andrew Sandlers 17,000g tank.

If we’re talking realistically something in the 10’x3’x2’ range. With primarily sps on one side and lps on the other. As far as fish go I don’t want anything out of the ordinary. A fish room with the sump and all equipment would be great. Trying to fit all of my equipment under the tank has gotten old.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, since u asked…I’d step out of my open concept master bedroom and onto the connecting exterior patio. Great the morning w a nice stretch, giving thanks. Then take a few steps, where the powder white sand wraps around my feet and slowly wade out into it, the crystal clear blue water of my natural reef. Island life.
The truth right here! ^^^^

But something that’s more attainable would be something around a 200 gallon shallow reef (72x36x18). Where I could hopefully design something similar to a trench style reef (I know a member used to have one back in the day but I can’t think of their name but think they were in Portland Oregon) basically the aquascape designed so it’s on two sides with sand down the middle. Kinda like this:
IMG_9968.jpeg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom aquarium from Glass Cages @Joe Glass Cages

84"L x 36"W x 18"H ~235gal
(24"H could be considered, but I like to be able to reach the bottom easily)

AIO

Wait, what? 235gal AIO?

Yup! A display refugium and AIO sump will be partitioned from the main display. Refrigerator, dosing, ATO, nest of wires and all testing and fish junk in the cabinet below. Emergency overflows in the display and refugium into sump. No floods unless seams break and no hunching over in a cabinet to mess around with stuff!

Here's the concept:

Main display: 72"L x 36"W x 18"H ~200gal
Refugium: 12"L x 12"W x 18"H ~10gal
Sump: 12"L x 24"W x 18"H ~20gal

Weirs along acrylic wall will allow water flow from display into refugium, refugium overflow into sump, returned to display. No pipes.

1698426853869.png

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream tank would be something you’d see at a public aquarium. 10’s of thousands of gallons.

Realistically, I’ll likely nearly double the size of my 80 gallon in the next year or so.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, since u asked…I’d step out of my open concept master bedroom and onto the connecting exterior patio. Greet the morning w a nice stretch, giving thanks. Then take a few steps, where the powder white sand wraps around my feet and slowly wade out into it, the crystal clear blue water of my natural reef. Island life.
1698428609214.jpeg

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like Polo Reef but on a smaller scale. Like 12'x12'x6'.

I really love deep aquariums and think the fish do as well.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us love our tanks and there are Many beautiful tanks on this site. When we got into this hobby, we envisioned what would be our dream tank.
Describe what your dream tank would look like and what size it would be.

Will be interesting to see some of the responses and descriptions given and will inspire the many new members that have joined recently
Honestly I used to love the idea of a huge colorful reef (much like yours vetteguy) for my dream tank. But now Im looking at my 125 with my amazing fish and starting to get the hang of which corals Im good at keeping and I couldnt be happier! Only “dream” fish I am missing is an emperor angelfish. Maybe when I upgrade my tank as my fish grow I will add one but for now I would say my dream tank is in my home currently :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back