Desjardini Vs Veliferum

Desjardini or Veliferum? Which one do you have?

• Zebrasoma Desjardini

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • Zebrasoma Veliferum

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m currently trying to choose between the desjardini and veliferum Sailfin tangs

I’m kinda confused to as which one to get

Do let me know which one you have and also add two pictures of yours from when you first got it and what it looks like now!

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this guy. Loves the camera.
IMG_8781.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many marine fish have the line pattern of veliferum but none has the color & line patterns of desjardini

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several Desjardini and every one of them was a nightmare. I'd love to find one that isn't a bully but it's yet to happen.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several Desjardini and every one of them was a nightmare. I'd love to find one that isn't a bully but it's yet to happen.
They need large tanks to be cohabitated nicely with other tangs & smaller species. How big were your tanks?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coloring on a desjardini aka Red Sea sailfin is in my opinion so much nicer than than the typical indo sailfin. I just added one for my new 300g build and it is such a great looking fish

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how personable they are. Will eat from your fingers, let you pet them, follow you around the tank. And the colors, mine has several color schemes it changes to based on mood. All White when feeling timid, black and white striped when showing dominance, dark blue/ black when he's about to go bi polar on my poor tomini(i think the tomini likes the chase). You can just watch him and tell his mood. Can dart acros 6' tank in a split second with barely a flick of the tail and literally swim circles, around a fleeing fish, using the fin like a sail on a race boat. My only fish that will let the cleaner shrimp climb on and go for a ride around the tank

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have one but have always thought the desjardini was a much nicer looking fish. I was looking at both at the lfs the other day and the veliferum looked kind of bla compared to desjardini IMO
Yeah that makes sense but I can’t find the desjardini here veliferum is mostly common here

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coloring on a desjardini aka Red Sea sailfin is in my opinion so much nicer than than the typical indo sailfin. I just added one for my new 300g build and it is such a great looking fish
Yeah it’s much nicer tho I really like the yellow tail on the veliferum

Unfortunately the velifers are much more common here than the desj are

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still valuable info for OP. In my experience, once they get past 6", 150g is too small

Most Tangs that come here are on the smaller side so it shouldn’t be a problem

How long do you think a 3 inch fish will need to grow to about 7 or 8 inch? I plan on swapping it out with the store or selling them and getting a new one again

OP
OP
R

reefinginBD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how personable they are. Will eat from your fingers, let you pet them, follow you around the tank. And the colors, mine has several color schemes it changes to based on mood. All White when feeling timid, black and white striped when showing dominance, dark blue/ black when he's about to go bi polar on my poor tomini(i think the tomini likes the chase). You can just watch him and tell his mood. Can dart acros 6' tank in a split second with barely a flick of the tail and literally swim circles, around a fleeing fish, using the fin like a sail on a race boat. My only fish that will let the cleaner shrimp climb on and go for a ride around the tank
That seems like a really interesting fish to have! I really like how they look and these just add to why I should get one hahah

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Tangs that come here are on the smaller side so it shouldn’t be a problem

How long do you think a 3 inch fish will need to grow to about 7 or 8 inch? I plan on swapping it out with the store or selling them and getting a new one again
About 3 years, if you feed him well

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always just kept the desjardini, much more attractive fish to me. Agree that they can be aggressive. Mine would even go after my arm. Not a fish I’d recommend to all but the large tank owners. Even a 225 is too small for a fish that can easily get to 12”.

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back