Detritis siphon into rollermat?

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

Does anyone siphon detritis into a rollermat instead of a sock?

If so, how do you prevent the water level from getting too high above the sensor, prematurely activating the roller?

I’m going to give it a try, later today but I suspect that it’s likely best to turn the return pump power to the lowest setting, and hope that both the flow of the return water and the detritis siphon line doesn’t exceed what the roller mat can take?

feel free to relay and tips if you do this!

thanks all!

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it. Not really worth the hassle for me. I just ordered a 3d printed filter sock holder that has a clip to hold my siphon tube. I forgot where I got it. It’s easy to use when I need it as it just hangs over the sump edge. I keep it in a bucket with my cleaning supplies. I think I got it on Etsy or printed reef. They also have one with a round edge for placing on a bucket.

edit. A mesh sock is cheap and is easy to rinse out. If you get a lot of detritus like I do you’ll waste a bit of your filter fleece as it’s much finer and isn’t the cheapest.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back