Detritus worms?

TampaSmitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added a skimmer to my 13.5 gallon tank it only has zoas and 2 trochus snails and a peppermint shrimp. I feed reef roids maybe once every 2-3 weeks. I’ve had a diatom bloom for months now and do regular water changes however I still leave behind a good bit of diatoms each cleaning.
Im assuming these are detritus worms I’ve spotted on the glass but not sure. And was wondering what steps I need to take if any about these

05CDBB96-96EF-448B-8412-2B32F0CCE061.png

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say what kind of worm it is from the pic. However, there are lots of different worms that show up. But with the exception of just a few species, most are scavengers of some kind. I would just leave them be myself.

With respect to you're algae issues try using steel straws to siphon algae off the rocks and sand and paper towels to remove it from the glass. To clean sand you've siphoned out you can soak it in H2O2 for a day or so, rinse well in tap water, I let it dry for few days, then return it to your tank.

I may be wrong but I have the impression you used dry rock and bacteria cultures to set up your system. You might find these links helpful in understanding your systems complexities better.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

15 Answers

OP
OP
TampaSmitty

TampaSmitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks fo
Hard to say what kind of worm it is from the pic. However, there are lots of different worms that show up. But with the exception of just a few species, most are scavengers of some kind. I would just leave them be myself.

With respect to you're algae issues try using steel straws to siphon algae off the rocks and sand and paper towels to remove it from the glass. To clean sand you've siphoned out you can soak it in H2O2 for a day or so, rinse well in tap water, I let it dry for few days, then return it to your tank.

I may be wrong but I have the impression you used dry rock and bacteria cultures to set up your system. You might find these links helpful in understanding your systems complexities better.

"Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" This video compliments Rohwer's book of the same title (Paper back is ~$20, Kindle is ~$10), both deal with the conflicting roles of the different types of DOC in reef ecosystems. While there is overlap bewteen his book and the video both have information not covered by the other and together give a broader view of the complex relationships found in reef ecosystems

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Microbial view of Coral Decline

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

BActeria and Sponges

Maintenance of Coral Reef Health (refferences at the end)

Optical Feedback Loop in Colorful Coral Bleaching

DNA Sequencing and the Reef Tank Microbiome

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

15 Answers

r the info, I caught one today thats a little bigger. Turns out there bristle worms, not sure how I feel about that as there are a lot of them on the glass and my tank is zoa only outside of a couple snails and a shrimp.

Attachments

• 92D5EDD9-EED4-43C7-98E7-B313DC4AFE07.jpeg
    92D5EDD9-EED4-43C7-98E7-B313DC4AFE07.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 35

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms, and most other worms are beneficial scavengers. But the addage "Too much of a good thing is bad" comes to mind. Bristle worms tend to be cryptic and hide, if there's enough they're coming out in day light I'd start siphoning out what I can see when I do water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back