DGee's Box O sticks V2

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since a few people have asked about the tank on other forums and a few of the FB groups I've decided to add a build thread over here. This tank was originally setup in December of 2015, I'll take pictures from a previous build thread I started and try to keep things in order as best as possible... The initial livestock came from my previous 30x30x18 cube.

The tank was built by Oceans By Design in Seattle WA, it measures 48x30x18

I built the sump with a few things in mind, mainly something that was easy to clean and could house a small frag area, previously I had a whole separate system setup in the lower part of the house with about 300g of total water volume and maintaining two separate systems was just too time consuming.

The sump measures 48x24x16, it incorporates the drain from the filter sock box directly the the frag area that measures 24x19.

The Aquascape consists to a few separate pieces that are held together 5/8" solid acrylic rods that have been drilled and hammered into the each rock to make three separate structures.

You'll notice the led pucks in the center of the Powermodule, I had initially tried removing two tubes from the center to run the led's but I was never happy with them and they were removed a shortly after setting the tank up.

January 2015 I moved all of the corals out of the QT tank they were being held in, sadly I lost 15-20 pieces and browned out just about every piece of coral I had. There were some underlining circumstances that led to this that were out of my control amongst the delivery of the new tank but I made due with what was left at that point.

More to come...

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
June 2015

Sump is about as basic as it gets, filter socks are changed once per week, and all other nutrient export is done via the skimmer. No GFO, I will run carbon a couple days every month or so but not all the time. I snapped off a few crummy iPhone pictures so you can get the gist of the setup as it was back then... Wiring was still a mess from swapping out equipment.

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
August 2015 I built a new housing for my camera.

It works quite well, the 15+ year old Nikon D70 still keeps ticking, the real quality is in the 55mm Micro Nikkor Nikon lens. It's great piece of glass.

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 2016 Update

Not much has changed, a few pieces have come and gone, trimmed a lot moved a few things around stuff is still growing. More or less just letting the tank do it's thing.

I recently changed back to my old ATB cone skimmer since I was feeling like the current one just wasn't keeping up with the waste from the larger fish as we as I would of liked.

Salsa777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my, what a tank. You have some great looking acros. thanks for sharing your photos, which are wonderful.

OP
OP
DGee

DGee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we get to the most recent picture of the tank from a couple months ago... I'll work on trying to keep the thread updated but honestly I'm not the greatest at keeping up on constant updates. The tank is pretty much on autopilot as it's always been. I'll try to add some more equipment information as time allows.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them!

I've currently been doing a little more re-arranging and swapping out a few colonies here and there... Current pictures to come soon.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one AMAZING reef!! Members stay tuned for the spotlight we're doing on this reef!

Thank you for sharing!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back