DI COLOR CHANGE RESIN

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where donI buy the test? Its a chloramines test kit?

These strips will test for both free chlorine (regular chlorine easily removed from most carbon blocks) and Total chlorine (free chlorine plus chloramines). If when you use the test strip both levels are the same, you do not have chloramines. If free levels are lower than the total chlorine, than you have some chloramines.

BRS sales a Lamotte version of the same test, but they didn't work very well for me. These seem to have a better rating, and the color change is more pronouce (atleast in the review photos). You need to test them right after you carbon block before it goes into your RO membrane. If you are getting a positive reading on a new carbon block, then that is probably a big part of your problem.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on city water but it comes from a dozen Wells. I have 13-20 ppm co2. This will demolish di resin if it is not aerated heavily before running through the di. Get a Lamotte co2 test for like $30 and check it. I have made close to 800 gallons (35+ gallons a week or more sometimes) or more in the last 8 months, still using all my original spectrapure filters. Call spectrapure, they can help sort you out.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are it is the chloramines that are getting the better of your BRS 4 stage RO/DI unit. Unless you have separately ordered the "BRS universal carbon block filter -1 micron" your unit comes with the "BRS VOC 5 Micron Carbon Block" which will be useless in 100 gallons or less. Make the change, its only $16.99

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So from what I understand here with all the help.
1 - I need to buy a chlorine test kit
2 - buy a better carbon block
Now if I have high chlorine, what Am I supost to do to lower it.
How about the CO2 what Do I need to do about it?
should I buy a single RODI unit to run double carbon?

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes my current di im using was bought on november 2018. I changed it in around 2019 summer time and still have 1/4 left thats still blue. Getting 0 tds out and 5tds in. I buy my di resin on black friday because of the 15% off @BRS. I have another I just got this past Nov, waiting to go in. 30g rodi a week and last me about 5 months. Im using the brs rodi 150gpd with pressure pump @ 80psi.
This is insane! I use one bottle per 40g and it’s gone.. it gets all brown. TDS reads high..... I need to fix this...

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These strips will test for both free chlorine (regular chlorine easily removed from most carbon blocks) and Total chlorine (free chlorine plus chloramines). If when you use the test strip both levels are the same, you do not have chloramines. If free levels are lower than the total chlorine, than you have some chloramines.

BRS sales a Lamotte version of the same test, but they didn't work very well for me. These seem to have a better rating, and the color change is more pronouce (atleast in the review photos). You need to test them right after you carbon block before it goes into your RO membrane. If you are getting a positive reading on a new carbon block, then that is probably a big part of your problem.

Will this one works as well?
The one you bought it doesn’t have the prime. Will take a week to be here. this on will arrive next day.
595803DF-9C69-4A54-B3FE-0339F05BA6BC.png

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search youtube BRSTv "20x or 50x?" and "Best of 2019? RO/DI upgrades"
This might help you understand ways to save money in the long run. These are 2 great videos to improve RO/DI units.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chances are it is the chloramines that are getting the better of your BRS 4 stage RO/DI unit. Unless you have separately ordered the "BRS universal carbon block filter -1 micron" your unit comes with the "BRS VOC 5 Micron Carbon Block" which will be useless in 100 gallons or less. Make the change, its only $16.99
Which carbon blocker would be The right one?

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is plumbed wrong. The DI goes after the membrane. Yours is before. You need a separate canister. After the membrane into the di

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is plumbed wrong. The DI goes after the membrane. Yours is before. You need a separate canister. After the membrane into the di
Here is how it’s setup:
1 Water passes thru the pressure booster pump.
2 goes thru the first canister (sentiment filter)
3 goes to the middle canister ( carbon)
4 goes to the membrane
5 from membrane to the last canister (resin)
6 resin to the water I use for the tanks.
So my DI resin canister it’s the last one before the water goes to the water that goes to my tanks.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back