Diamond Goby - What happened to it?? (RIP)

chasetexas

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2025
Messages
75
Reaction score
43
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - we got a Diamond Goby for our 70 gallon tank thats been up for about 6 months. The first day he spent a few hours filtering sand and it was amazing. The exact reason we got it was to help clean the algea on our sand and he was doing AWESOME. And it was incredible to watch too!

Then he dug a burrow and disappeared for basically 3 straight days. I did a bit of research and it seems like this is very normal so I didnt really think twice about it.

Well he reappeared today and was super skinny and already in a death spiral where he couldnt swim straight and spinning around, so basically a goner. We just buried him.

What the heck happened!? I thought they were super hardy and got enough nutrients during their sifting to be healthy?? And if I am supposed to spot feed it, how the heck do you do that when it's completely hidden?? Very frustrating to be losing fish like this.

Our Royal Gramma seems very stressed out too, but he's still eating mysis shrimp when I put them right in his face so he might be ok. Been moving to new spots in the tank that he's never been in.

Recently we introduced some new conch snails and a monti cap coral that we just temporarily laid on the rocks while we decide where to put it. Also had bubble algea appear for the first time. Is all of this somehow connected??

The wife is actually very upset and borderline never wanting to get fish again as we've had 2 deaths in the last 2 weeks and she says we didnt get the tank to sit here and watch fish die.... pretty tough.

We have 2 normal clowns, 1 mocha storm clown, and a flameback angel fish that are all perfectly happy and healthy.

The basic water parameters are all still perfect. Salinity, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites were all still in perfect zones.

And I have a shipment of like 8 corals coming from TCK in 3 days so I need to make sure everything and everyone will be ok!!

HELP!!
 
My first thought is that one of your fish is a bully. Were the gramma and the goby the 2 most recent additions?
 
My first thought is that one of your fish is a bully. Were the gramma and the goby the 2 most recent additions?
Yea I was thinking maybe the angel fish, but I dont really ever see it be aggressive. Will that cause the goby to stay hidden and not eat??

The gramma was one of the first fish we introduced with the 3 clowns and 3 damsels (that were returned to the store for aggression) and he's always been great. We've gotten very attached to it and love that it sleeps in the rocks and little holes, we didnt know it did that!

The most recent additions was the goby, no other fish have been introduced for a few months now. Just a few corals.
 
Yea I was thinking maybe the angel fish, but I dont really ever see it be aggressive. Will that cause the goby to stay hidden and not eat??

The gramma was one of the first fish we introduced with the 3 clowns and 3 damsels (that were returned to the store for aggression) and he's always been great. We've gotten very attached to it and love that it sleeps in the rocks and little holes, we didnt know it did that!

The most recent additions was the goby, no other fish have been introduced for a few months now. Just a few corals.
My diamond watchman goby swims out to grab food off the surface or where ever it may be drifting in the current. It also does a nice job of sifting the sand but I don't think there is enough sand to be his only food source. I suspect the same to be true for your tank as well.

I agree with @Mr. Mojo Rising that this is an aggression issue with one of your other fish.
 
My diamond watchman goby swims out to grab food off the surface or where ever it may be drifting in the current. It also does a nice job of sifting the sand but I don't think there is enough sand to be his only food source. I suspect the same to be true for your tank as well.

I agree with @Mr. Mojo Rising that this is an aggression issue with one of your other fish.
Dang well with a Royal Gramma, 3 clowns, and a flameback angel it has to be the angel right? That's such a bummer because he's the most fun fish to watch and very active!
 
Dang well with a Royal Gramma, 3 clowns, and a flameback angel it has to be the angel right? That's such a bummer because he's the most fun fish to watch and very active!
I wouldn't rule out the clowns but it is probably the angel. If you can put a camera on them so you can observe without them seeing you see them you may get a better idea of who the problem child is. lol
 
I wouldn't rule out the clowns but it is probably the angel. If you can put a camera on them so you can observe without them seeing you see them you may get a better idea of who the problem child is. lol
Dang thats a bummer. I really like the angel fish a lot.

Any advice on next fish or two or five to add that will all play well together? really wanting super bright colors now. Was very tempted to get a Lemonpeel Angel with that bright yellow but I guess thats a silly idea now

The full group of 3 clowns, royal gramma, and angel were all great and then randomly after adding some new CUC SOMETHING seemed to change and we have no idea what happened.
 
If I had to guess it was aggression or an injury they are jumpers so it’s possible it tried to jump and hit its head probably from being stressed. I recently added a Bella Sand shifting goby and it’s become one of my favorite. They can starve if there isn’t enough microfona copepods or Algea available. I sometimes crush Algea wafers and spread them across the sandbed. Mine has gotten fat. I will say they aren’t always the easiest to keep
 
If I had to guess it was aggression or an injury they are jumpers so it’s possible it tried to jump and hit its head probably from being stressed. I recently added a Bella Sand shifting goby and it’s become one of my favorite. They can starve if there isn’t enough microfona copepods or Algea available. I sometimes crush Algea wafers and spread them across the sandbed. Mine has gotten fat. I will say they aren’t always the easiest to keep
That's a cool looking fish! Does it filter the sand as well as the diamonds or banded gobies??

I thought our algea on the sand would provide enough food but I guess that was wrong. If we decide to get another one we will definitely supplement somehow. Maybe put mysis directly into its burrow or something this time and try the algea or pellets or something.

Such a bummer to lose fish
 
That's a cool looking fish! Does it filter the sand as well as the diamonds or banded gobies??

I thought our algea on the sand would provide enough food but I guess that was wrong. If we decide to get another one we will definitely supplement somehow. Maybe put mysis directly into its burrow or something this time and try the algea or pellets or something.

Such a bummer to lose fish
Yes he works just as good as any diamond goby and his colors are amazing. Saw it at my LFS and had to have it. Was a little worried that it had a slightly pinched stomach at the store but I got him to eat mysis and pellets and fattened him up. Had him in a big acclimation box for a couple weeks as I do with any fish, so they get used to him being in the tank to avoid aggression. Best we can do is give a variety of food and have peaceful tank mates
 
I wouldn't rule out the clowns but it is probably the angel. If you can put a camera on them so you can observe without them seeing you see them you may get a better idea of who the problem child is. lol

If you’re looking for a fun clean up crew member, I can’t recommend conchs enough. I have two strawberry conchs and while they can disappear for a while, it’s always a pleasure to see them out sifting through the sand and looking around with their surprisingly complex eyes.

They’ll stay primarily on your sandbed. At most they’ll pull themselves up on a rock with a gentle incline only if they don’t have enough food. (This is my experience with strawberry conchs. I have no experience with any other conch species.)

Edit: I forgot to mention they leave trails in the sandbed so you can see where they’ve been and they’ll help keep the surface of your sandbed churned. You’ll still need other things for your sandbed, but conchs are a great addition.
 
Yes he works just as good as any diamond goby and his colors are amazing. Saw it at my LFS and had to have it. Was a little worried that it had a slightly pinched stomach at the store but I got him to eat mysis and pellets and fattened him up. Had him in a big acclimation box for a couple weeks as I do with any fish, so they get used to him being in the tank to avoid aggression. Best we can do is give a variety of food and have peaceful tank mates
I'm gonna have to get an acclimation box. And Im assuming you feed and try and train them to eat what you want them to eat while they are in there? Does it really help with aggression?

And I guess could it also be used as an isolation space too? IF my Royal gramma seems stressed out of nowhere now I could drop him in and make sure he's eating a lot?

Do you have a link to the one you have?
 
I'm gonna have to get an acclimation box. And Im assuming you feed and try and train them to eat what you want them to eat while they are in there? Does it really help with aggression?

And I guess could it also be used as an isolation space too? IF my Royal gramma seems stressed out of nowhere now I could drop him in and make sure he's eating a lot?

Do you have a link to the one you have?
It usually does help with aggression. Fish in your tank don’t recognize your new additions and they see them as intruders. Keeping in the box helps get them familiar with the new addition and helps ur new fish settle down. Also is way easier to feed them this way. I feed a variety of pellets mysis and brine. Never had a fish not eat acclimating this way

I have a 80g display so I use the 12in one. If your tank is small I’d go smaller. Keep it at water level so the lid stays closed as there are feeding ports at the top and small fish can escape. It’s a great acclimation box for the price. A pvc elbow is great to put in for shelter too

Amazon product ASIN B0792S5VZ8
 
It usually does help with aggression. Fish in your tank don’t recognize your new additions and they see them as intruders. Keeping in the box helps get them familiar with the new addition and helps ur new fish settle down. Also is way easier to feed them this way. I feed a variety of pellets mysis and brine. Never had a fish not eat acclimating this way

I have a 80g display so I use the 12in one. If your tank is small I’d go smaller. Keep it at water level so the lid stays closed as there are feeding ports at the top and small fish can escape. It’s a great acclimation box for the price. A pvc elbow is great to put in for shelter too

Amazon product ASIN B0792S5VZ8
That looks great. I'm gonna grab one thanks! I have a 70g Mariner so might grab the 12" as well.

I guess this could also be used as a copepod hotel / breeder? Seems like its very universal and can even put corals in too while I figure out where t put them

FYI your link or image was broken so in case anyone else is interested here it is: Amazon product ASIN B0792S5VZ8
1759180976311.png
 
It usually does help with aggression. Fish in your tank don’t recognize your new additions and they see them as intruders. Keeping in the box helps get them familiar with the new addition and helps ur new fish settle down. Also is way easier to feed them this way. I feed a variety of pellets mysis and brine. Never had a fish not eat acclimating this way

I have a 80g display so I use the 12in one. If your tank is small I’d go smaller. Keep it at water level so the lid stays closed as there are feeding ports at the top and small fish can escape. It’s a great acclimation box for the price. A pvc elbow is great to put in for shelter too

Amazon product ASIN B0792S5VZ8
Got the box in and the angel is now in timeout for the next week. Thanks Mike!

Also picked up the small 4.5" square box too to try and use as a copepod breeder. Put my copepod hotel inside. We will see how that goes.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2895.jpeg
    IMG_2895.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 62
Got the box in and the angel is now in timeout for the next week. Thanks Mike!

Also picked up the small 4.5" square box too to try and use as a copepod breeder. Put my copepod hotel inside. We will see how that goes.
Looks good best of luck 👍
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new