Diamond Goby

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I added a small diamond Goby to my tank about a week ago. He's doing great so far. Sifting away, eating when I feed the tank, and has quite the personality.

I've been reading (which I didn't see before when I was researching them) that these fish can deplete the bacteria in the sand, which is their meals, and starve to death fairly quickly. I REALLY do not want this as this goby is my favorite fish in the tank to watch.

Most cases I saw the fish wouldn't eat food being fed to the tank. Mine goes after mysis shrimp and ROE. I also read you can stuff food as little treats in the sand around their dwellings they make so they "find" it while sifting. Could I possibly shoot some ROE and mysis shrimp under the sand using a syringe first thing in the morning before the lights come on? Should this supplement him enough?

Any other tips would be fantastic. I want this guy to make it.
IMG_1431.JPG

Snookster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's eating mysis and/or anything else you're offering, don't worry about it. And they don't the eat the bacteria in your sand (although they'll stir it up), they eat the fauna that live there. I wouldn't resort to stuffing food in the sand. If he doesn't find it, you're going to create other problems you really don't want.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's eating mysis and/or anything else you're offering, don't worry about it. And they don't the eat the bacteria in your sand (although they'll stir it up), they eat the fauna that live there. I wouldn't resort to stuffing food in the sand. If he doesn't find it, you're going to create other problems you really don't want.

Ahh, I see. I'll just continue to make sure that food gets down to the little guy when I feed.

__Jreef__

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a pair I pick up about a month ago.
They do eat everything I give to them now, took sometime (about a week) but they're eating pellets, flakes and they love the frozen brine shrimp.

They are very active always sifting the sand, I don't think you should worry I see mine eating and actually getting fat.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an issue with diamond gobies depleting fauna from a tank. A healthy tank wipp replenish itself.

Since it is eating what you feed it should be fine.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a pair I pick up about a month ago.
They do eat everything I give to them now, took sometime (about a week) but they're eating pellets, flakes and they love the frozen brine shrimp.

They are very active always sifting the sand, I don't think you should worry I see mine eating and actually getting fat.

Once I see my guy getting nice and fat I'll be real happy. I know they sometimes "look" to be eating but they pass it right through like they do with the sand.

I've never had an issue with diamond gobies depleting fauna from a tank. A healthy tank wipp replenish itself.

Since it is eating what you feed it should be fine.

Good to know. I'm glad he's eating. Hope to see him get nice and fat as I know these fish die most due to starvation. I'll do all I can to keep him fat and happy.

One hilarious thing I saw him to yesterday was move a hermit crab from his space. A hermit was getting too close to his face and he gently picked it up, moved it to the corner of the tank, and placed him back down.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I added a small diamond Goby to my tank about a week ago. He's doing great so far. Sifting away, eating when I feed the tank, and has quite the personality.

I've been reading (which I didn't see before when I was researching them) that these fish can deplete the bacteria in the sand, which is their meals, and starve to death fairly quickly. I REALLY do not want this as this goby is my favorite fish in the tank to watch.

Most cases I saw the fish wouldn't eat food being fed to the tank. Mine goes after mysis shrimp and ROE. I also read you can stuff food as little treats in the sand around their dwellings they make so they "find" it while sifting. Could I possibly shoot some ROE and mysis shrimp under the sand using a syringe first thing in the morning before the lights come on? Should this supplement him enough?

Any other tips would be fantastic. I want this guy to make it.
IMG_1431.JPG

Are you using our R.O.E. for your diamond goby?

-Chad

biomek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are ever concerned about them getting enough food, mine loved marine algae tablets.

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the little guy going crazy over the ROE

Couldn't figure out how to upload directly.

May I share this on Facebook and our Reef2Reef forum? BTW, we are Reed Mariculture, makers of Reef Nutrition. I noticed that you called us Reed Nutrition. Don't worry; it happens all the time. :D

-Chad

OP
OP
Adam113

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I share this on Facebook and our Reef2Reef forum? BTW, we are Reed Mariculture, makers of Reef Nutrition. I noticed that you called us Reed Nutrition. Don't worry; it happens all the time. :D

-Chad

Absolutely. No problem at all! Shoot me a link when you do.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back