Diamond Watchman Goby face bruised and not swimming well

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning we woke up to find our Diamond Goby laying on his back, but he was till breathing. We just added him to the tank on Sunday afternoon (a little less than 48 hours ago).

We watched him for a bit, and he swam around some, but he wasn't controlling his body position well, and his face looks bruised.

Sometimes when swimming, we've seen him rolling.

Toward the end of the attached video, you can see him swimming with his body vertical.

Any suggestions?

IMG_2053.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. The fish was actively dying in the video. All I could see was that it was very thin, and had some mucus strings coming off of its mouth. the latter may have been from the fish striking the rocks as it spun around.

Jay

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. The fish was actively dying in the video. All I could see was that it was very thin, and had some mucus strings coming off of its mouth. the latter may have been from the fish striking the rocks as it spun around.

Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your input.

Now that you mention he does look rather thin. Could we have starved the poor critter in just a day and a half? Or is it more likely that he came from the shop already thin? I suppose I should study photos of healthy specimens before bringing home new fish.

I've also learned that I would like to have supplies on hand for quick and effective euthanasia. In this case he passed pretty quickly after we noticed him struggling, but we should ready to help our fish if they need it.

Thanks,
Brett

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for weighing in. I appreciate your input.

Now that you mention he does look rather thin. Could we have starved the poor critter in just a day and a half? Or is it more likely that he came from the shop already thin? I suppose I should study photos of healthy specimens before bringing home new fish.

I've also learned that I would like to have supplies on hand for quick and effective euthanasia. In this case he passed pretty quickly after we noticed him struggling, but we should ready to help our fish if they need it.

Thanks,
Brett

It was likely thin when you got it. Fish can easily go a week with no food.

Jay

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning we woke up to find our Diamond Goby laying on his back, but he was till breathing. We just added him to the tank on Sunday afternoon (a little less than 48 hours ago).

We watched him for a bit, and he swam around some, but he wasn't controlling his body position well, and his face looks bruised.

Sometimes when swimming, we've seen him rolling.

Toward the end of the attached video, you can see him swimming with his body vertical.

Any suggestions?

IMG_2053.jpeg

Did you ever seen what caused the bruising on the face? I just got mine sunday evening, he dug a burrow and hasn’t came out until today and mine looks the same as yours did and is rolling around sometimes

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. Unfortunately he didn't make it much longer. Hopefully yours works out better.

Best of luck.

tpv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not. Unfortunately he didn't make it much longer. Hopefully yours works out better.

Best of luck.
definitely didn’t work out, mine couldn’t even swim to the point where he floated into a hermit crab and it started eating the goby without the goby fighting back so unfortunately I went ahead and put it down

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back