diaseris plate corals... the plate coral that frags itself!

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just recently started collecting diaseris plates to cover my entire sand bed (if i can ever get enough). i currently have 6 diffrent colors and i absolutly love them! why are they so under appreciated and why cant i ever find them for sale?! I have been to 8 different LFS in 3 different states and i always get the same answer when i ask about them. 1-they have never heard of them, and 2-they have never seen them available. anyone have any ideas on my questions? what do you think about these plates?!

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see as well. They are not real plentiful but I do see them from time to time. Ebay has them from a few different sellers. At different times.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that Diaseris plates are very nice looking. I actually find their contorted shapes to be more interesting than any of the other plate corals. They tend to be overshadowed by Fungia and Cycloceris because of the usually brighter and more unusual color combinations found in those two genera. The only wildly striking color combo I've seen in Diaseris is a bright purple with bright green eyes and rim. The other colors I've seen have been more muted, and this probably limits their marketability.

OP
OP
Adam10045

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EBAY is the only place i have been able to find them. I just dont understand why lfs cant get them. goldenbasket told me that they come from 70ft ft of water off the great barrier reef. i think these are the coolest plates! they seem to grow fast too. ill upload some pics shortly ;)

OP
OP
Adam10045

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have some that are pretty bright colors. orange, red, one two face (orange/purple), lime green, and a purple with orange mouth with orange rim. i cant seem to find the one that are purple with green mouths. that one is on my wish list!

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that a lot of the corals I used to see, like Diaseris aren't as common now. I used to see Anacropora forbesi, Millepora (fire coral), Acrozoanthus, Isaurus (snake polyps), and photosynthetic gorgonians far more often than now. It's probably just "fashion." All things go in and out of style.

OP
OP
Adam10045

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heres some pics of my diaseris plates!
photo 1.jpg
photo 4.jpg

photo 1.jpg

photo 4.jpg

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question but how do they frag themselves? I've never heard of them.

OP
OP
Adam10045

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when they grow, they form breaking points in the skeleten. (you can see spots on the botton side) when they get big enough and decide to split they just break apart. after that, they regrow each end to reform its shape again leaving two new plates! here is a picture of the underside of one and the dividing lines.(not my picture)
mounting6.jpg
untitledm.jpg

mounting6.jpg

untitledm.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

typicaltony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice collection! I've been always been outbidded on ebay for these guys... sniped at the last min. Let me know whenever you decide to sell any frags, id be interested in a couple.

CRW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always plenty of plates to be bought from LDS stores and vendors here in Colorado. Wonder why none where you have been looking.

CardsFan

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting us know about this coral I have never heard of it before this! Thats cool how it can frag itself though never heard about something like tht

OP
OP
Adam10045

Adam10045

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KLR- yes that is the plate ive been looking for! the second picture is a diaseris. its listed as a fungia on WWC website. the unusual shape and lines leading to the mouth gave it away. if i had'nt of just bought someones established reef tank i ould snatch it up in a heart beat. im broke at the moment though.

typicaltony- i have a few frags of each plate right now im planing on selling. when they come in from shipping, they are usually broken. the frags look great and are already starting to grow out. i plan to take some with me the the frag swap in nashville TN. if your interested in some, send a pm

CardsFan- i didnt know anything about them till a frew months ago! once i learned about them i quickly wanted a collection of them! i love fraging corals and watching them grow back. plate corals have been one of the only few corals i never would frag due to the slow growth rate and its just hard on them. but a plate that frags itself earnes its spot in my tank!

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what is funny... I actually think I have one! Lol. I was looking at my fatty plate yesterday and noticed it's starting to take on a flower petal shape on the sides. Im going to turn it over later and check the under side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back