Diatom bloom, and cloudy water.

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank finished cycling about 6 days ago, and I still haven’t gotten the time to go get a fish and some snails. Planning on going Tuesday. Diatom bloom started about 3-4 days ago and today the water got Farley cloudy. I think I will start to run some carbon and a filter sock. Is it safe to get some cuc and a fish on Tuesday? I will also perform a water change either Monday or Tuesday.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let it be. Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Should clear in a day or 2
The Diatoms... Get used to em. Part of a new tank
Till it clears up should I not get anything? I know about the diatoms, just never had a tank get cloudy like that.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No real need for carbon imo. Just a skimmer is fine for seeing the cycle through.
As for your question yeah you can add snails and crabs whenever you feel like you're done with your cycle it's whatever. Using live rock or not makes a difference

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Till it clears up should I not get anything? I know about the diatoms, just never had a tank get cloudy like that.
It's more common that you'd think. Just means there was a large supply of whatever, and the Bacteria that eats it had a bloom because of the massive food supply.
Once the food source is gone, or at a constant, the bloom goes away.
It'd called Carrying Capacity in Biology

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more common that you'd think. Just means there was a large supply of whatever, and the Bacteria that eats it had a bloom because of the massive food supply.
Once the food source is gone, or at a constant, the bloom goes away.
It'd called Carrying Capacity in Biology
I was told by many that because it is only a 29 gallon tank that I wouldn’t need a skimmer, as water changes are relate viler easy. But I am also planning on making a diy skimmer.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by many that because it is only a 29 gallon tank that I wouldn’t need a skimmer, as water changes are relate viler easy. But I am also planning on making a diy skimmer.

Sure you could just use an HOB filter and be fine. With a 29 gallon, I wouldn't suggest using no filtration at all and only relying on water changes, especially if you plan on keeping any corals. One benefit of using a skimmer is oxygenation. The basic four ways to get oxygenation: skimmer, HOB filter, airpump, or powerhead pointed towards surface of water. Airpumps and powerheads will generate splash and cause the rim of your tank to build up salt. HOB filters tend not to splash, but they're pretty unsightly. And I prefer tubes sticking in my water vs the mini waterfall. For me I stick with skimmers for any display tank down to 10gal. My 29gal quarantine tanks use HOB filters for simplicity of cleaning/drying as well as the oxygenation they provide. It mostly boils down preference and affordability. "What's right and necessary" for your tank has less to do with its size when you're looking at one piece of equipment vs another.
I really like the in-tank tunze skimmers. The dc one would be the perfect size for your tank.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you could just use an HOB filter and be fine. With a 29 gallon, I wouldn't suggest using no filtration at all and only relying on water changes, especially if you plan on keeping any corals. One benefit of using a skimmer is oxygenation. The basic four ways to get oxygenation: skimmer, HOB filter, airpump, or powerhead pointed towards surface of water. Airpumps and powerheads will generate splash and cause the rim of your tank to build up salt. HOB filters tend not to splash, but they're pretty unsightly. And I prefer tubes sticking in my water vs the mini waterfall. For me I stick with skimmers for any display tank down to 10gal. My 29gal quarantine tanks use HOB filters for simplicity of cleaning/drying as well as the oxygenation they provide. It mostly boils down preference and affordability. "What's right and necessary" for your tank has less to do with its size when you're looking at one piece of equipment vs another.
I really like the in-tank tunze skimmers. The dc one would be the perfect size for your tank.
I’m still planning on getting a fish tomorrow. You think it’s fine?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things..
First, what @shadesatsetbreak said could not have been more on point. He is 100% correct and you should reread what he said and let it sink in a bit.

2nd, I'd be testing to see exactly where I was in the cycle before subjecting an fish or inverts to a potentially nasty situation.
It might just be that you are good to go and can move forward with a fish. But... You just and well might still be cycling. Even a little bit.
Patience is key in this hobby. We have ALL been there wanting to fill the tank with fish and corals. Trust me though.. that's a quick way to empty you wallet and kill a bunch of livestock in the process.
If you doubt what I said, check the tank emergency forum, and how many say "All my fish, corals, whatever are dying" only to ultimately say "my tank is new and I jumped the gun."
A day or two, and a couple/few tests will give you the piece of mind to know you won't be the next person posting up about not being able to keep corals or fish...
Definitely keep the questions coming though, we are here to help!!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. If the cycle has completed, sure get a fish. That is one of the most exciting parts of this hobby.
2. I've used HOB skimmers for smaller tanks. The HOB variety easily foams over the top and onto the floor when you first turn it on. So if you are on carpet, be prepared for a partial overflow until it gets under control. But skimmers are great once they get dialed in.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. The tank is plumbed and connected to a 10 gallon sump. I have mechanical filtration, and will get some macroalgae for the refugium. I will try to make a protein skimmer or get one when it’s in my budget. For this size tank a 30-50 dollar one should work.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things..
First, what @shadesatsetbreak said could not have been more on point. He is 100% correct and you should reread what he said and let it sink in a bit.

2nd, I'd be testing to see exactly where I was in the cycle before subjecting an fish or inverts to a potentially nasty situation.
It might just be that you are good to go and can move forward with a fish. But... You just and well might still be cycling. Even a little bit.
Patience is key in this hobby. We have ALL been there wanting to fill the tank with fish and corals. Trust me though.. that's a quick way to empty you wallet and kill a bunch of livestock in the process.
If you doubt what I said, check the tank emergency forum, and how many say "All my fish, corals, whatever are dying" only to ultimately say "my tank is new and I jumped the gun."
A day or two, and a couple/few tests will give you the piece of mind to know you won't be the next person posting up about not being able to keep corals or fish...
Definitely keep the questions coming though, we are here to help!!
The tank is completely cycled tested every day for 30 days till I read 0ammonia, 0nitrite,20 nitrate. I have a cycling thread you can check if you’d like.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. The tank is plumbed and connected to a 10 gallon sump. I have mechanical filtration, and will get some macroalgae for the refugium. I will try to make a protein skimmer or get one when it’s in my budget. For this size tank a 30-50 dollar one should work.
Just remember you get what you pay for. Investing in something reputable can save you a lot of headache in the long run. If budget is a concern the used market for equipment is a vast and imo untapped resource. Check out r2rs classifieds as well as Craigslist, eBay, etc. I'll bet you can find next to new equipment to satisfy your needs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back