Diatomaceous Earth

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatomaceous earth is all silica because it's the shells of countless millions or billions of dead diatoms.
I would guess that this would be ok to use in a diatom filter.
It's an insecticide because the tiny diatoms irritate and dry out the insects, killing them; there is no added organic pesticide necessary.
My main concern would be about any unintended contaminants. For this reason I'd probably use diatomaceous earth from a pool supply place instead.
Although realistically it's probably all from the same sources anyway.
The insecticide de is designed to become are born and turn into a very fine dust. With this in mind i would be very careful with it. Pool grade I believe wouldn't do this. Wear a dust mask so you you don't breathe it.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic.

I was under the impression that diatomaceous earth gets into the joints of insect exoskeletons and basically shreds them from the inside out. My kneejerk reaction to using it in a tank is wondering if it would irritate shrimps, crabs, etc.
No it destroys the waxy substance on the exterior of the insects. The sharp edges of de will help to cut the cuticle of the insect. The waxy substance on the insect acts a lot like out skin. So with that destroyed the insect will die..

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Randy.

So don't use it, look for something else?
I would go to a pool supply store. Ace hardware and I'm sure other hardware store will sell it as well.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some diatom powder from amazon or ebay. It was supposed to be pure. It might have been. The problem I had was no water flow. It just trickled. Went back to vortex diatom. Works like a fire hose.

Back