4c907a232291fe69ea6722ed52c5f387.jpg

Diatom green after yeast
8167fb4e2f11e9ab5325a88cdf0b8b99.jpg

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeast dosing was very popular years ago for a short time and I was wondering when this would come around again.

I did some testing on yeast dosing in my tanks and found it is good in small doses to feed coral but I never seen much progress against diatoms or any algae being reduced that could be attributed definitively to the yeast. I always found another factor that could have contributed\explained the reduction. I am sure if yeast survive they would use up some nutrients and that could out compete to some degree the diatoms. Flip side if they don't survive and they don't get ingested it can add to the nutrient load. It does cause cyanobacteria bloom and hair algae big time in large doses, (at least for me it did). Even if it did fix one type of algae causing another kind to bloom kind of defeats the purpose. Once it caused a algae bloom so bad that clouded the water and crashed the tank.

With all the other ways of reducing nutrient levels around to me this is not worth the hassle. In my opinion some people just like to keep looking for a quick fix instead of practicing proper husbandry. If they focused on proper husbandry they would not have as many issues and could deal with permanently getting rid of algae blooms. Instead of looking for the easy way out and quick fix that focuses on the symptoms of an issue and not focusing on proper husbandry that is dealing with the root cause of the issue. Proper husbandry trumps quick fix any day.

For those that want to use this during the cycle phase to speed things up. Some food for thought diatoms and other algae are a important part of cycling your tank. It is a first food source for your food web. If you try and get rid of the algae during your cycle phase you are crushing the development of your food web. Your food web add stability to your tank long term. You should be fostering your food web and wait till the bloom goes away. This is why at one time we were patient and waited at least 6 months before introducing anything into the tank besides the fish you used to cycle. So instead learn one of the top things that are important part of this hobby that is called patience. Use this time to read up and plan your tank.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree and IMO diatoms are the least to worry about compared to other nuisances that could come out of no where even in low nutrient systems like cyano, bryopsis, and dinos. Normally its watch your source water and wait. I feel diatoms are important to our tanks.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree and IMO diatoms are the least to worry about compared to other nuisances that could come out of no where even in low nutrient systems like cyano, bryopsis, and dinos. Normally its watch your source water and wait. I feel diatoms are important to our tanks.
My snails and hermits love it :)

"Come on snails I need this for testing purposes can't you go find something else to eat?"

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/4 cup water, 2.25 teaspoons active dry yeast, .5 teaspoons sugar. Water temp 73F.

Left is rodi and right is saltwater from tank. 20 minutes in.

e25d5304856f6adbed2ee212d7df6431.jpg

That's in straight saltwater from the tank? Apparently the salt isn't inhibiting the yeast growth :). So...are people mixing up the yeast first and then adding it to the tank (like how we used to feed fry in freshwater) or just adding dry yeast to the sump, or what??

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's in straight saltwater from the tank? Apparently the salt isn't inhibiting the yeast growth :). So...are people mixing up the yeast first and then adding it to the tank (like how we used to feed fry in freshwater) or just adding dry yeast to the sump, or what??

Yep, that was saltwater pulled from my sump. There was not as much of a reaction as the freshwater sample but it did much better then I expected. In cooking you avoid adding salt to yeast. Which this does show it did "flatten" the growth.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not seen anyone test it, and I can't really see a reason to want to do it.

Do you have a diatom issue?

Yes, I believe I do. I have this brown algae of sorts. It doesn't bubble up like diatoms as I think of them but it sorta looks like diatoms. The funny thing is this brown stuff doesn't grow on the sand, only on the rocks. Here's a picture for reference.

Yeast day1.jpeg

Tank is 5 months old and I've already refinanced my home trying to keep up with the cost of replacing GFO. PO4 is hovering around 0.20 even with carbon dosing and NO3 at around 5. The problems started soon after I introduced a Scarus Quoyi dwarf parrot fish. Love this little guy but he poops like there's no tomorrow! Just ordered a Pax-Bellum Arid N24 reactor in hopes that it will pull the PO4 down and keep it there for good.

I am trying the yeast trick out since it only takes a week and some people claim it worked for them.

Thanks for replying. Does this look and sound like diatoms to you or just brown algae?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I believe I do. I have this brown algae of sorts. It doesn't bubble up like diatoms as I think of them but it sorta looks like diatoms. The funny thing is this brown stuff doesn't grow on the sand, only on the rocks. Here's a picture for reference.

Yeast day1.jpeg

Tank is 5 months old and I've already refinanced my home trying to keep up with the cost of replacing GFO. PO4 is hovering around 0.20 even with carbon dosing and NO3 at around 5. The problems started soon after I introduced a Scarus Quoyi dwarf parrot fish. Love this little guy but he poops like there's no tomorrow! Just ordered a Pax-Bellum Arid N24 reactor in hopes that it will pull the PO4 down and keep it there for good.

I am trying the yeast trick out since it only takes a week and some people claim it worked for them.

Do you have any suggestions?
Thats not diatoms. Yeast is anecdotal in my opinion. Get your cheato going and invest in a clean up crew.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not diatoms. Yeast is anecdotal in my opinion. Get your cheato going and invest in a clean up crew.

Can’t wait until that cheato reactor shows up. It’s in transit with UPS now. I have about 6 snails so I will up their number.

I know the picture isn’t that good but do you think this is just ordinary brown algae?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait until that cheato reactor shows up. It’s in transit with UPS now. I have about 6 snails so I will up their number.

I know the picture isn’t that good but do you think this is just ordinary brown algae?
I would like to say yes but I'm leaning towards lyngbya. Its a form of cyanobacteria. Manual removal is best. I would focus on siphoning the sandbed, 20% water change, gac and getting the macro algae growing. Its nothing of serious concern but getting that initial cleaning and letting the tank settle should help a lot. Don't try to reduce nutrients to zero readings rather focusing on manual removal is key.

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to say yes but I'm leaning towards lyngbya. Its a form of cyanobacteria. Manual removal is best. I would focus on siphoning the sandbed, 20% water change, gac and getting the macro algae growing. Its nothing of serious concern but getting that initial cleaning and letting the tank settle should help a lot. Don't try to reduce nutrients to zero readings rather focusing on manual removal is key.

I looked up this lyngbya pest and I think you nailed it. The pictures of it look just like what I’m dealing with.

From what I’m reading, it apparently thrives in an iron rich environment. Well, guess what? I’m dosing iron. It’s for the benefit of the cheato in my refugium. I will stop that right away until this issue is resolved.

If it isn’t diatoms then no need to continue the yeast. I will stop that.

More GAC is on order. Thanks

I had turned off the ozonator and skimmer for the yeast idea. I will turn them back on.

Water changes are easy. I’ll bump up the schedule as you suggest.

There isn’t any lyngbya on the sand bed but I will get in there today and do as much manual removal as I can. There is quite a bit on the back wall that I can scrape off. That will put a good dent in it right there.

The refugium has low flow and I can’t really do much about that because of how I plumbed it. I mainly designed it for copepods and amphipods. The Arid will have high flow and better lighting so it should knock down the excess nutrients.

I’ve cut way back of feeding. I will keep that up. I’m guilty of over feeding the past few months and sometimes feed up to 4 times a day. The system used to pull down PO4 and nitrate with ease so it wasn’t a problem. That seems to have changed recently. I’m being honest here.

I am dosing nitrate to keep the level at 5, as I mentioned. I will back down the nitrate dosing to get the level closer to 1 for now.

Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back