Diatoms ?

petarvolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Im having a little issue with algae. My tank is three months old, and for about two weeks, I've been having issues with algae that have been getting worse.
For the past couple days. When i come home from work the front glass looks like this everyday!
I have 0 nitrates and 0 phosphate.
Most of my corals are doing good and growing. I tried some acros and died fast but besides those my gsp and zoanthids look a bit unhappy.

I tried to remove silica, but i use rodi, so that went nowhere. Turned off the protein skimmer since it runs very lean. And have a refugium; nothing gets rid of the algae. Please help!

2C9FCCC3-51BB-46A4-921E-8715D8A5E47B.jpeg 4011A80C-D93E-45A1-9AA5-0BC7406F1850.jpeg

OP
OP
petarvolf

petarvolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 nitrates and 0 phosphate means your corals are starving to death and opens the door for dinos to invade your tank.
I add amino acids bi weekly for this reason, i try to over feed the fish, but they levels wont rise

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add amino acids bi weekly for this reason, i try to over feed the fish, but they levels wont rise
Very common in a new tank system. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers.

OP
OP
petarvolf

petarvolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common in a new tank system. I had to double dose neophos and neonitro for multiple months before I got measurable numbers.
I was actually thinking of neonitro, do you think is wise to dose it while having this algae bloom ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was actually thinking of neonitro, do you think is wise to dose it while having this algae bloom ?
Diatoms consume silicate. They disappear in a few weeks on their own. Film algae on the glass is normal and just needs to be scraped off weekly. This will always be a tank task. It's your corals that need nitrates and phosphate. Corals decline from the inside out so it might be weeks or months before you see them go down hill suddenly due to lack of nutrients. Maintaining proper parameters and weekly water changes are the key to success in a new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back