Algae Issue

reefecoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’m currently experiencing some issues with the algae. The tank is new (~3 months) and I believe that I’m passing through the “ugly stage”. However I’m observing serious issues with the birdsnest coral as well as my snail. Birdsnest looks unhealthy and I observe color/polyp loss. Also snails are not active at all, as before (I've had them for about 2.5 months and they were very active until the algae issue). The tank is Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon. Livestock: Clownfish pair, Bicolour blenny, Astrea (3) and Mexican Turbo Snail (1) Corals: Candy Cane, Anemone, Birdsnest, GSP, Red Monti Cap.

Parameters (API tests):
Temperature: ~26°C
Salinity: 1.025 - 1.026
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
KH: 9
Phosphate: 0

How do you think I can fix the Birdsnest and Snail issue? I have a 0-0 (Phosphate and Nitrate) issue and the problems are related to these readings?

IMG_2807.jpeg IMG_2809.jpeg IMG_2810.jpeg IMG_2808.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
what test kits did you use for those results? do you trust them? this is occurring likely due to double 0's(nitrate/phosphate)

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the tank is too new and still unbalanced (0 phosphates and 0 nitrates). You currently have no nutrients....the coral is starving. Not much you can do at this point....possibly try dosing but with the tank being so young, the algae might just use that before the coral even gets a chance to.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
birdsnest is an sps coral, usually we would not put sps corals on the sand in the corner of the tank, they like higher light and flow and normally placed higher on the rocks.

SPS corals also don't really like newer tanks, they are not really a "beginner" type coral.

API test is useless for the phosphate test, it doesn't work for our hobby, the test reads from 0 to .25, but many of us keep the phosphate at .1 or lower, so you need a test kit that can read between 0 and .25. Should get a better quality kit for nitrate also, API always show 0 nitrate.

Astrea and turbo snails eat algae, but not algae in your tank, only diatoms at this point, so the snails are likely starving.

Besides moving it up into more light and flow, not much you can do, except let your tank mature, and improve your knowledge.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a major cleaning and 33 percent water change. Using the high quality Seachem Matrix Carbon bottomed out my nitrate and phosphate. Thus I got a few patches of the same thing. Add a little Neonitro, measure and maintain nitrate between 2ppm-5ppm.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned the tank is too new for the sps and anemone. 3 months has barely scratched the surface of the ugly phase. Best bet is to wait until coraline becomes a problem before adding the tougher to keep things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back