Algae

brichard925

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this algae growing on my dry rock. Already been through diatoms coming and going away on their own. Tank has been setup for 2.5 months and levels have fluctuated a bit but nitrates have been stable between 2-5. My phosphate has been between 0-0.03. I run my light around 30-40% capacity during peak hours and consists of mainly blues to prevent more algae from whites. Only clownfish and cuc in the tank and waiting for coral. Should I let the algae continue to grow or should I shut off light and scrub rock?

IMG_0960.jpeg

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t scrub the rock. I’d advise letting things ride out. It’s a new tank, stuff is gonna happen/grow.

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is no fun when anxious to begin stocking a new tank. Having said that, don't fight it and certainly don't change anything. It looks like your tank may be taking longer than many people hope to stabilize. NOT A PROBLEM. By giving it all the time it needs, you are setting yourself up for a more stable and easier to manage tank in the long run. The WORST thing you can do when starting out a new tank is keep messing with different parameters (lighting included). The tank needs stability. If you are struggling to hold back the urge to get a coral in there, try one out! Get a cheap, robust, and slow growing coral and see how it goes!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just normal new tank algae. You are going to experience a variety of ugly phases over the first year.

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everything said so far, it’s very normal. I would just keep doing what you are doing and it will sort itself out eventually. New tanks often take longer than we want to stabilize!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During this phase it is important not to over feed fish, and do regular water changes. Your new rock will absorb excess phosphates like a sponge, and then it can take months to get them unbind.

Feed only what the fish eat. A little at a time. Let them eat it all

Go to a lfs and they usually have a cheap section - 10 or 20$ frags. Get something cheap and basic - zoanthids, green star polyp, mushrooms and throw it in and see how it does

Do not buy - Xenia, Kenya tree or leather
The first two spread like weeds and can take over a tank. Leathers can secrete things that pollute a tank and for a new tank going through phases you don’t need to deal with that or get confused thinking it’s some cycle issue. Just get something safe and easy to test the tank and give a few weeks and see how it does

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back