Green Algae on Rocks

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

My tank has been established now a few weeks and my rocks have started to grow algae I assume looks a bit like moss, is this a bad thing? I’ve got cleaner shrimp, Halloween crabs and snails in there currently, I am hoping they will eat it… or is my lighting too excessive?

Is this the start of the ugly stage or should I be concerned?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
established for a few weeks as in, the cycle is complete? you’re likely seeing the ugly’s start. if there are no fish you can leave the lights off a few days to cut back on the algae growth. the inverts will be fine with no lights

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

My tank has been established now a few weeks and my rocks have started to grow algae I assume looks a bit like moss, is this a bad thing? I’ve got cleaner shrimp, Halloween crabs and snails in there currently, I am hoping they will eat it… or is my lighting too excessive?

Is this the start of the ugly stage or should I be concerned?
I left my lights off, even with fish, for 3 1/2" months, the only inverts were CUC. That made a TREMENDOUS difference in how much of the "uglies" I saw.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish dont need lighting ambient room light is enough. I have done lights off and lights on saw little difference in "ugly" stage. With lights on its just going to start sooner. Either way you and the animals you decide to put in will have the biggest impact on how "bad" it gets. Snails, copepods, amphipods, fish such as tangs if you have the tank size for them, blennies, urchins, crabs if you trust them (I don't). Keeping the lights off longer does help to "balance" your tank with appropriate cuc and nutrient control before it gets out of hand.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately and due to product marketing everyone new to the hobby thinks algae is something to eradicate. When starting with dry rock, algae is a normal progression. Not something to freak out over. Manage, not eliminate.

OP
OP
randyreef93

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_2963.jpeg
    IMG_2963.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
randyreef93

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t put any chemicals in, it was filled with salt water, filtered, reef flow 2.0 in there, snails, crabs and cleaner shrimps, this has only happened rapidly over the last few days but I have had the lights on for 10 hours a day…..

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn the lights off but what are your nitrates and phosphates?

Those bubbles look like Dinos but lets hope not.
It's not dinos in a tank that new. Green algae can pearl to. Diatoms produce air bubbles also and is typically the first ugly stage to show up.

OP you will get quite a few variations of ugly phase algae and bacteria over the course of the first year. Just part of the hobby.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The appearance and growth of algae in an aquarium is not bad, it's just the natural order of things. In fact, it shows that an aquarium is well balanced and healthy, and the cultivation of macroalgae forms is actually beneficial. just get some Nassarius and astrea snails

OP
OP
randyreef93

randyreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back