Green algae on rocks

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
I made another post asking for advice on how to know if tank is cycled and questions regarding live rock. Thank you for the advice on that.
Another problem has came up for me in my Fluval evo 52l

I have my light on ( stock light that comes with evo tank) on from 10am till 6pm and then I switch it to blue light. I have noticed green algae growth on my rocks, that's spreading more and more with each day. I have one crab, not hermit, but a different one. Not sure the name of it. Then a Royal Gramma and a Red Head Gobby. How should I tackle the green algae problem? I have attached some photos

green algae 1.jpg green algae 2.jpg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, you don't do anything at all just yet. Enjoy that there is life starting to take hold on your rocks, and let it grow for a few weeks.
I wouldn't get anything that will depend on it for food, since your tank is too new and it will run out of its food source quickly. I'm sorry but definitely not an urchin since they eat so much and enjoy coraline as well, which you have none of yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi there
I made another post asking for advice on how to know if tank is cycled and questions regarding live rock. Thank you for the advice on that.

I have my light on ( stock light that comes with evo tank) on from 10am till 6pm and then I switch it to blue light. I have noticed green algae growth on my rocks, that's spreading more and more with each day. I have one crab, not hermit, but a different one. Not sure the name of it. Then a Royal Gramma and a Red Head Gobby. How should I tackle the green algae problem? I have attached some photos

Often associated with new tanks, is normal as long as it does not get out of control. Its more unsightly than it is harm and likely due to periods of bright white light intensity.
Adding snails such as astrea, cerith, nerite and turbo grazers will help with control

Cpc83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
0   1   1
It's part of a new tank. I've had one turn water green and just waited it out took 6 weeks watched water clear up. Part of the ugly stage, if you rush to fix it you tend to cause more issues. Embrace the ugly stage this is where different organisms are starting to grow and some beneficial ones need that to grow and get a foothold. Many of us rush to turn on lights and we speed up that ugly stage to start then want to try everything to fix and crash a tank then want to scrap everything and get out of hobby been there a few times just ride it out

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us rush to turn on lights and we speed up that ugly stage to start then want to try everything to fix and crash a tank then want to scrap everything and get out of hobby been there a few times just ride it out.
Should I lower the time my lights are on?
I will let it run it's course for a while, maybe till end of the month and monitor how everything looks, continue with my weekly water changes.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

Do you have anything in the tank that has coralline algae on it? I ask because that looks like the type of green algae that will become coralline. But Coralline does not just grow in a tank, it must be introduced in the tank. It could be on a snail shell, or something like that. Just in case you don't know, coralline algae is a good thing, not a bad one.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything in the tank that has coralline algae on it? I ask because that looks like the type of green algae that will become coralline. But Coralline does not just grow in a tank, it must be introduced in the tank. It could be on a snail shell, or something like that. Just in case you don't know, coralline algae is a good thing, not a bad one.
Well I have live rocks and live sand, 2 corals, 2 fish and a crabby, that's all I have there. I did not dip my corals when I introduced them to my tank. I only found out about dipping after they were in my tank for a bit, I will know better next time

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have live rocks and live sand, 2 corals, 2 fish and a crabby, that's all I have there. I did not dip my corals when I introduced them to my tank. I only found out about dipping after they were in my tank for a bit, I will know better next time
Look closely at the live rock, I will bet it has some either pink, purple, or red coralline algae on it somewhere. That would be how it was introduced into your tank. If that is the case, then just relax, and watch the green closely, you should start to see some areas of either of the 3 colors soon. Mine showed up (very small, about the size of a pen head) about a week after I noticed the green. But every tank is different.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look closely at the live rock, I will bet it has some either pink, purple, or red coralline algae on it somewhere. That would be how it was introduced into your tank. If that is the case, then just relax, and watch the green closely, you should start to see some areas of either of the 3 colors soon. Mine showed up (very small, about the size of a pen head) about a week after I noticed the green. But every tank is different.
Yes you were correct. I saw multiple spots on my live rock that looked like purple coralline algae.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you were correct. I saw multiple spots on my live rock that looked like purple coralline algae.
Good! It will spread, and according to ARC (Atlantic Reef Conservation) 100% of the green algae like what you are seeing, will become coralline algae. Just keep an eye on it, and if it seems to be changing into like hair algae or something, then you will need to deal with it, but from what it looks like to me, it is just a sign that your tank is moving in the right direction.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

It's just part of the new tank experience unfortunately. If you have space for some tangs they will help same with other CuC. But almost all tanks go through this stage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back