Please help, algae spreading like wildfire!

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae problem that's been spreading like a wildfire, there's some air bubbles around the live rocks. I'll attach pictures. I don't know what algae it is and how to get rid of it. I'm talking about the bright green algae. Looking for some guidance and advice. Thank you in advance.

IMG20240119190705.jpg IMG20240118164721.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? What cuc do you have?
Tank is about month old. I didn't had cuc before, but today I got 3 hermit crabs and 2 snails that would take care of sand.
Looks like cyanno or just the "ugly stage" of a tank. Does it come off easily when blown with a pipette/turkey baster?
I didn't had much to scrub it, so I went to shop and got a toothbrush and it didn't came off much, had to really put some effort in scrubbing.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is perfectly normal. Just part of the biodiversity that makes the reef work. Your cuc will definitely help with shortening the ugly phases.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an algae problem that's been spreading like a wildfire, there's some air bubbles around the live rocks. I'll attach pictures. I don't know what algae it is and how to get rid of it. I'm talking about the bright green algae. Looking for some guidance and advice. Thank you in advance.

Yea that's common algae, hand clean your tank, if you cannot get it off the rock remove it, do a water change and test all parameters, and make sure your Nitrates and Phosphates are in range. I would not use any kind of algae remover chemical because that could cause other problems, and I don't think a clean up crew would be enough, but it would help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that's common algae, hand clean your tank, if you cannot get it off the rock remove it, do a water change and test all parameters, and make sure your Nitrates and Phosphates are in range. I would not use any kind of algae remover chemical because that could cause other problems.
I do 10% weekly water changes. Might need to drive down to my LFS tomorrow and give them sample to test the water. My test kits that I bought is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do 10% weekly water changes. Might need to drive down to my LFS tomorrow and give them sample to test the water. My test kits that I bought is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.
Get a Phosphate test kit, get it in range, you might need some type of GFO, and try and get better lighting, something with an adjustable spectrum, many out there, Maxspect Jump is one.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That 'bright green' algae looks to be a precursor to coralline algae/growth...it's a good sign and does not need to be removed.

'Coralline Algae often first appears as small white or green patches on aquarium glass and live rock before solidifying into a pink or purple hued coating. Some species grow fast enough to require weekly scraping of aquarium glass while others may only grow a couple centimeters in diameter per year.'

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Phosphate test kit, get it in range, you might need some type of GFO, and try and get better lighting, something with an adjustable spectrum, many out there, Maxspect Jump is one.
It's a stock light for my fluval evo, I will most likely upgrade in the future, not yet though. As only upgrading light requires getting a mesh cover for my lid, then ato to compensate for evaporation. So it's a lot in one go, it will take me a while. What is GFO?
I am looking into getting one of those Hannah checkers, just want to look up how they work as I prefer digital reading than matching the colour codes

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 'bright green' algae looks to be a precursor to coralline algae/growth...it's a good sign and does not need to be removed.

'Coralline Algae often first appears as small white or green patches on aquarium glass and live rock before solidifying into a pink or purple hued coating. Some species grow fast enough to require weekly scraping of aquarium glass while others may only grow a couple centimeters in diameter per year.'
It's the green one that I'm confused about and didn't know what it is. But there are spots where the bright green is turning darker and like a stem or something looking like that comes out like turning into a hair algae

IMG20240119230034.jpg

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a stock light for my fluval evo, I will most likely upgrade in the future, not yet though. As only upgrading light requires getting a mesh cover for my lid, then ato to compensate for evaporation. So it's a lot in one go, it will take me a while. What is GFO?
I am looking into getting one of those Hannah checkers, just want to look up how they work as I prefer digital reading than matching the colour codes
GFO is basically a form of iron that reacts with Phosphates in your tank, it helps control phosphate levels so it can get your Phosphate in range, for high Phosphate levels causes algae growth. You don’t need to buy an expensive reactor, just put a bag of it in your filter, it’s cheap.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO is basically a form of iron that reacts with Phosphates in your tank, it helps control phosphate levels so it can get your Phosphate in range, for high Phosphate levels causes algae growth. You don’t need to buy an expensive reactor, just put a bag of it in your filter, it’s cheap.
Thank you very much. I'll drive down to my local fish store tomorrow and get some

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you've potentially got two or more dif types growing/forming. That darker could be hair algae or bryopsis , more likely the first.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you've potentially got two or more dif types growing/forming. That darker could be hair algae or bryopsis , more likely the first.
That's what it formed into on a different piece of live rock. I got dar and became hair algae. Will the hermits take care of it? Another fish store that I went to today, told me to get urchin, but I said no as I have no information on them, haven't red up anything.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's normal, and you'll have a lot more types of Algae in the first year of the tank.

You need to arm yourself with a toothbrush and spend time cleaning it each day.

Add some CUC, I'd have at least 5-6 snails to start.
My 75g has about 50 assorted snails as well as other algae consumers.

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some snails, hermit crabs, urchin will go after it... as will Mollies acclimated to saltwater. Be patient, don't get frustrated... generally it's all part and parcel.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some snails, hermit crabs, urchin will go after it... as will Mollies acclimated to saltwater. Be patient, don't get frustrated... generally it's all part and parcel.
This is difficult, as I'm very new to this hobby and when things like this happen, I tend to panic as I think there's something wrong I'm doing. I have red up on information, I guess when it actually happens I get nervous and think that something is going terribly wrong.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is normal for brand new systems, life finds a way! When I experienced this I literally just sat back and watched. Within a month or so the algae had gone away on its own. I would think twice before adding any chemicals, GFO or anything like that and instead pay attention to how often you’re feeding. Some trochus snails will take care of this in no time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back