foxface maybe or usually eats bubble algae?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some bubble algae I'd like to get rid of and considering a foxface for my 180 gallon. Would rather get something else if its a 50/50 shot instead of a most likely.

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say for sure, but my experience has been very positive. I have had bubble algae in 5 aquariums (a display and 4 frag/grow out tanks). I put a foxface in the display, and one spot foxfaces in each of the frag tanks. No accessible bubble algae remains, but I still see it sometimes in some hard-to-get-to places like behind gyres or buried elsewhere. They have been great for me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know how likely a foxface is to eat bubble algae, but I’ve had two and they both ate it. One was a one spot and the other was a basic foxface.

reefsUP2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some bubble algae I'd like to get rid of and considering a foxface for my 180 gallon. Would rather get something else if it’s a 50/50 shot instead of a most likely.
Rabbitfish do a great job & emerald crabs but they can also nip at other stuff.
Desarjini tangs are good but some occasionally won’t touch it.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a foxface. I dident like the idea of crabs going rouge. However after 6 months i had more bubble algea. The foxface had ate basically any algea other than.
I got 2 emerald crabs. Dident see a change. I got 5 more BIG boys and within 2 weeks i can't find any bubble algea in the tank. And i had ALOT. So some maybe dont, but mine sure did a good job.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a one spot and the first outbreak I had he took a while to start eating it but once he did, he didn’t stop and went on a rampage and took most of it out (apart from the hard to reach areas) I then moved and after setting back up the bubble algae came back very strong and he didn’t even touch it. I used brightwell razor which completly got rid of it, however whatever you do DONT use razor there are way better options out there.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back