Please help, algae spreading like wildfire!

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is normal for brand new systems, life finds a way! When I experienced this I literally just sat back and watched. Within a month or so the algae had gone away on its own. I would think twice before adding any chemicals, GFO or anything like that and instead pay attention to how often you’re feeding. Some trochus snails will take care of this in no time.
Should I take out the activated carbon that came with the tank? I added it few days ago. I've kept up with my weekly 10% water changes, I do 5liter ones as I account for sand and live rock. I have been feeding a lot more to my fish that probably necessary, because I see that they take few bits and pieces of the mysis shrimp and rest of it falls down so when they leave it there, in my mind I tell myself, it is not enough and ene up feeding more. Quite a lot stayed on the sand bed and when starting the pump back on was swirled around. And when I introduced corals I thought, yeah, they need some food, so started to feed ab+, I thing I have over fed stuff and without clean up crew I have this algae growing. Just didn't know if it's normal or not

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first year and perhaps beyond is going to be filled with a variety of algae and bacteria ugly phases. You have barely even started the adventure.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should I take out the activated carbon that came with the tank? I added it few days ago. I've kept up with my weekly 10% water changes, I do 5liter ones as I account for sand and live rock. I have been feeding a lot more to my fish that probably necessary, because I see that they take few bits and pieces of the mysis shrimp and rest of it falls down so when they leave it there, in my mind I tell myself, it is not enough and ene up feeding more. Quite a lot stayed on the sand bed and when starting the pump back on was swirled around. And when I introduced corals I thought, yeah, they need some food, so started to feed ab+, I thing I have over fed stuff and without clean up crew I have this algae growing. Just didn't know if it's normal or not

Sounds like you’re feeding too much! I think it would be good to practice removing the food that is uneaten and drops to the sand bed before it is allowed to become excess nutrients. Try to only feed the amount you’ve seen them consume. At this point I wouldn’t remove the carbon since you’re running it already but more importantly CUC time

OP
OP
M

Mr.Miyagiii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re feeding too much! I think it would be good to practice removing the food that is uneaten and drops to the sand bed before it is allowed to become excess nutrients. Try to only feed the amount you’ve seen them consume. At this point I wouldn’t remove the carbon since you’re running it already but more importantly CUC time
I introduced 3 hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails and a cleaner shrimp. Would that be enough for a fluval evo? I have 2 clowns, royal gramma and a Goby. Clowns were introduced today. So I had just 2 fish prior. Snails buried themselves under sand immediately and hermit crabs, all 3 of them come up to the rock that has hair algae.

What would be the best way to remove the excess food? I can't scoop it up with my fingers, that's all I have in my arsenal at the moment

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced 3 hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails and a cleaner shrimp. Would that be enough for a fluval evo? I have 2 clowns, royal gramma and a Goby. Clowns were introduced today. So I had just 2 fish prior. Snails buried themselves under sand immediately and hermit crabs, all 3 of them come up to the rock that has hair algae.

What would be the best way to remove the excess food? I can't scoop it up with my fingers, that's all I have in my arsenal at the moment
Your tank is fully stocked now so don't add any more fish.
You need more snails, Rock cleaners like trochus snails. Nassarius snails only work the sand.

I would have held off on the coral until after the ugly stages so I would not add any more coral for another few months.

It's only a nano tank. Let it settle.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

A turkey baster is very very useful in this hobby :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back