Invasive Algae and soft corals

shayanlion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My tank is almost 1 year old. Recently, I have been seeing these clove polyps looking soft corals and bubble algae in my tank and they are spreading. I have attached a picture.
I tried removing them physically but they come back again. Is there any optimal way to get rid of these things? The brown ones are also growing inside one of my corals so I would like to get rid of them.

photo_2024-03-31_15-29-02.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly see bubble algae and aptasia. Bubble algae requires manual removal and a few pitho crabs. Aptasia can be handled with aptasia x manually and couple peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranch

OP
OP
S

shayanlion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mainly see bubble algae and aptasia. Bubble algae requires manual removal and a few pitho crabs. Aptasia can be handled with aptasia x manually and couple peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranch
Oh awesome! I'll get them they'll be very happy in my tank. You don't recommend any chemicals right?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a heavy infestation, not to mention all the cyano and hair algae there too, its a mess. I don't see clove polyps, but if you really have that too, then those rocks are total loss.

You should think about doing a rip clean, or else start cycling rocks in another container and do a rock swap.

OP
OP
S

shayanlion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a heavy infestation, not to mention all the cyano and hair algae there too, its a mess. I don't see clove polyps, but if you really have that too, then those rocks are total loss.

You should think about doing a rip clean, or else start cycling rocks in another container and do a rock swap.
Yes some of my rocks are infested with bubble algae. Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to rip clean them in the next water change.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back