OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just your phosphate number. It's the fact that you have new rock in the tank that's open real-estate to bad algae that causes the uglys. Every tank is different and the nutrient levels they all find a balance with are different. I advocate for everyone to not chase numbers and listen to your corals.

Just for reference I've been at .5-.8 on my phosphates for over a year since setting this tank up. Nitrates anywhere from 30-50. But I started this tank with all aged and mature rock, no spots for the nasty algae to take hold.
20240319_165601.jpg
I see. So best option is to just ride out the algae. I’d imagine they’d eventually use all the phosphates and things would level out. My only worry is the high phosphates and the LPS Duncan’s

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when I see threads of zero po4 and some no3 = problems with dinos, algae.
Not so much when the thread reads some po4 and zero no3. Those threads read more like, "will my coral die, how do I dose no3? " and not truely a problem tank.
It's either or. Typically phosphate bottom outs first because it's much lower amount then nitrates but if you consistently show bottomed out numbers in either or both your tank will have problems. Most likely why the ULNS fad faded out some years back.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. So best option is to just ride out the algae. I’d imagine they’d eventually use all the phosphates and things would level out. My only worry is the high phosphates and the LPS Duncan’s
Your phosphate is not high only slightly elevated but in acceptable range. My tank thrives and my phosphate is .2 to
4 consistently.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using? API always shows .25
I would suggest to re-test with a better test kit. But phosphate is not a big deal to fish only tank anyway. GFO or lanthanum is the way to reduce phosphate, but they are both very potent stuff.

Same with nitrate, no need for adding nitrate to a fish only tank. Besides, if the tank is new, then just wait a bit, nitrate will raise naturally through feeding and fish poop.
Maybe wrong than maybe right so you tell me. I found that high phosphates give off a really offensive smell

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe wrong than maybe right so you tell me. I found that high phosphates give off a really offensive smell
High phosphates will not give off an odor at least thats something ive never experianced. That being said high phosphates and the right conditions can lead to blooms of bacteria that can give off hydrogen sulfide that smells like rotten eggs. Ive not really noticed any tank getting proper aeration to have this issue since most of the bacteria that release hydrogen sulfides are anaerobic. Deep sand beds that people used to run could also cause the right conditions to create that problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back