Phosphates

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently set up a 20 gallon long tank.

I recently have had a brown algae outbreak on all glass and on rocks. There is also green algae (not cyano) on all the substrate. I originally transferred everything from a 10 gallon.

While moving over, I added a bunch of dead live rock that someone had given me on FB marketplace.

Since then, I have had zero nitrates and high phosphates ~0.25ppm.

If I had to guess, I am guessing the rock is leaching phosphates and fueling the algae that is eating up my nitrates.

How would you guys fix this? Is it better to dose nitrates or to try and reduce the phosphate with media.

I have 4 fish (2 clowns, fire fish and royal gramma) and a cleaner shrimp.

Thanks!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently have had a brown algae outbreak on all glass and on rocks. There is also green algae (not cyano) on all the substrate. I originally transferred everything from a 10 gallon.

While moving over, I added a bunch of dead live rock that someone had given me on FB marketplace.

If I had to guess, I am guessing the rock is leaching phosphates and fueling the algae that is eating up my nitrates.

How would you guys fix this? Is it better to dose nitrates or to try and reduce the phosphate with media.

Thanks!
If you have no coral I followed advice from a customer I had when I did service work. I removed rock and scrubbed it clean. It took about a week for it ( hair algae) to come back. It took 6 months but I beat it. I don't like chemical warfare myself

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no coral I followed advice from a customer I had when I did service work. I removed rock and scrubbed it clean. It took about a week for it ( hair algae) to come back. It took 6 months but I beat it. I don't like chemical warfare myself
I probably should have added that i do have corals. Mostly sofies (toadstools and zoas) and 2 duncans.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using? API always shows .25
I would suggest to re-test with a better test kit. But phosphate is not a big deal to fish only tank anyway. GFO or lanthanum is the way to reduce phosphate, but they are both very potent stuff.

Same with nitrate, no need for adding nitrate to a fish only tank. Besides, if the tank is new, then just wait a bit, nitrate will raise naturally through feeding and fish poop.

OP
OP
S

sw6120

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test are you using? API always shows .25
I would suggest to re-test with a better test kit. But phosphate is not a big deal to fish only tank anyway. GFO or lanthanum is the way to reduce phosphate, but they are both very potent stuff.

Same with nitrate, no need for adding nitrate to a fish only tank. Besides, if the tank is new, then just wait a bit, nitrate will raise naturally through feeding and fish poop.
I am using hanna ULR. The tank isnt fish only, has some corals. I am just so surprised ot see no nitrate because theres quite a few fish and i feed heavy

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had “high“ phosphates of .25-.30ppm for years and everyone remains happy.

I don’t buy this low nutrient system anymore.

Never seen a 0 nitrate tank ever.

IMG_2019.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thanks!
If you can pick out the free rock, use Lanthium in a bucket. Rinse well and return to tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP if your tank is a new set up and using dead rock scape you can expect a variety of algae phases over the course of the first year but 0 nitrates means your corals are slowly starving to death. .25 phosphate is slightly elevated but nothing of serious concern especially in a new unstable tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back