Diatoms?

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure similar posts exist, so my apologies there.

I have a new tank, which has finished cycling.
I had some cyanobacteria show up first, but my skimmer and manual removal did a pretty good job of keeping it to a minimum, and now is not noticable.
I added the macro algae ( I want the red ogo long term) and a phytoplankton blend from algae barn and turned my lights on. I went on vacation for 5 days and had my skimmer off (didn't trust it to not overflow and I have no fish or foods being added ATM).
I came back to quite the mess of a new inhabitant! I am thinking it is diatoms. I am not certain though that it isn't the cyanobacteria from before, or the phytoplankton I added having a hayday, or even dinos. I will take a sample to my lab and check under the microscope for further ID.
IF it is diatoms, how do I handle this? I am thinking some manual removal, add some copepods, and maybe start the addition of the CUC? Should I turn the HOB skimmer back on to handle this? Ideally, I am trying to create a system where I don't have to use my skimmer much, but it is there if needed.

My ammonia and nitrites are 0. Nitrates are around 20ppm. pH is 8.2, alk is 9. Ca and Mg are both lower at this time since there's no corals yet. Phosphate is less than .03. It's a 40 gal tank and my temp is 81 degrees, which I think I will lower to 78.
Thank you all for your lovely advice.
1000001350.jpg
1000001351.jpg
1000001356.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure similar posts exist, so my apologies there.

I have a new tank, which has finished cycling.
I had some cyanobacteria show up first, but my skimmer and manual removal did a pretty good job of keeping it to a minimum, and now is not noticable.
I added the macro algae ( I want the red ogo long term) and a phytoplankton blend from algae barn and turned my lights on. I went on vacation for 5 days and had my skimmer off (didn't trust it to not overflow and I have no fish or foods being added ATM).
I came back to quite the mess of a new inhabitant! I am thinking it is diatoms. I am not certain though that it isn't the cyanobacteria from before, or the phytoplankton I added having a hayday, or even dinos. I will take a sample to my lab and check under the microscope for further ID.
IF it is diatoms, how do I handle this? I am thinking some manual removal, add some copepods, and maybe start the addition of the CUC? Should I turn the HOB skimmer back on to handle this? Ideally, I am trying to create a system where I don't have to use my skimmer much, but it is there if needed.

My ammonia and nitrites are 0. Nitrates are around 20ppm. pH is 8.2, alk is 9. Ca and Mg are both lower at this time since there's no corals yet. Phosphate is less than .03. It's a 40 gal tank and my temp is 81 degrees, which I think I will lower to 78.
Thank you all for your lovely advice.
1000001350.jpg
1000001351.jpg
1000001356.jpg
If it's diatoms, do nothing. They will go away on their own in 1-3 months, depending on how much silicate is in the system. If the brown patches really bother you, you can stir up the sand to cover them up.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back