Did I break my hydros ph probe?

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to calibrate my hydros ph probe. There was something growing on the bulb so I scraped it off with a toothbrush. On the base of the bulb is a plastic piece where the bulb goes into the probe. On either side of that plastic piece seemed to be a little barnicle growing so I scraped it off, but I think it might have been part if the plastic. There is now a little purple fluid coming out of the base. Did I break my probe???

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting ready to calibrate my hydros ph probe. There was something growing on the bulb so I scraped it off with a toothbrush. On the base of the bulb is a plastic piece where the bulb goes into the probe. On either side of that plastic piece seemed to be a little barnicle growing so I scraped it off, but I think it might have been part if the plastic. There is now a little purple fluid coming out of the base. Did I break my probe???

lol

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There s a glass bulb that the plastic is there to protect. I doubt that the stuff there would have affected the reading and anything live would not survive going into the rinse water and calibration fluids anyway. I have never seen one leak so I cannot say if it would leak purple or not. Just don't leave it in air for very long unless you are going to replace it. Below is a photo showing the glass bulb in the tip of the probe.

IMG_4995.jpeg

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There s a glass bulb that the plastic is there to protect. I doubt that the stuff there would have affected the reading and anything live would not survive going into the rinse water and calibration fluids anyway. I have never seen one leak so I cannot say if it would leak purple or not. Just don't leave it in air for very long unless you are going to replace it. Below is a photo showing the glass bulb in the tip of the probe.

IMG_4995.jpeg
Thanks, the bulb didnt break, and its sitting in ro water right now and still reading, but I looked up how a ph probe works and there is an electrolyte inside the probe, so imagine thats what leaked out. Looks like Ill be replacing it.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the bulb didnt break, and its sitting in ro water right now and still reading, but I looked up how a ph probe works and there is an electrolyte inside the probe, so imagine thats what leaked out. Looks like Ill be replacing it.
Replacing is probably the safe thing to do. The Hydros units usually come with Pinpoint probes which are available several places so you should be able to get a replacement quickly. Any pH with a BNC connector should work though.

OP
OP
ianryd

ianryd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing is probably the safe thing to do. The Hydros units usually come with Pinpoint probes which are available several places so you should be able to get a replacement quickly. Any pH with a BNC connector should work though.
Thanks for that info, might just get a cheap one for now, reefstock is coming in a few weeks here in Denver, gotta save some $$$ for that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back