Did I just crash my tank?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I added some chemi pure blue because there was a lot of algae and my water wasn't clear. My param are ideal tho. I forgot to rinse the chemi pure and I read that you shouldn't add it when theres a lot of algae because it will die and crash your tank. It has been in for 3 hours, and water is crystal clear. Should I remove?

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely do a water change. I personally use chemi clean. I’m assuming your skimmer is probably overflowing ? I would take the top off till it settles down as well
Ps: get a sailfin blenny and a good cleanup crew to avoid using chemicals to do the dirty work.

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely do a water change. I personally use chemi clean. I’m assuming your skimmer is probably overflowing ? I would take the top off till it settles down as well
Ps: get a sailfin blenny and a good cleanup crew to avoid using chemicals to do the dirty work.

I dont have a skimmer on this 20 gal, so i should leave it in?

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re most likely fine. You can put in some filter floss to catch all the carbon dust you didn’t wash out. Your corals May bleach from the clarity due to the increased light penetration. Stop feeding so much test parameters, do large water changes until the tank turns around. Also lots of good YouTube info/vids

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand it’s a chemical media. You are using it in a bag correct? If so it says leave it for 2-4 months according to directions

Yeah I use a hang on the back filter so i just put it behind where the foam cartridge is would that work?

OP
OP
Sick_man

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand it’s a chemical media. You are using it in a bag correct? If so it says leave it for 2-4 months according to directions

Yeah I use a hang on the back filter so i just put it behind where the foam cartridge is would that work?

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely didn’t crash your tank. It’s basically
just carbon and resin. Makes your water clearer and removes nutrients. I usually keep carbon in my tank for about 2-3 weeks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chemi pure bags, not chemiclean.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All will be fine with the C.P.B.

It actually doesn't need to be rinsed as much as the regular Chemi-Pure and Chemi-Pure Elite...you should have noticed that the Chemi-Pure Blue was slightly damp as they have pre-rinsed it a little for the past few years. It used to be sent dry and need a real good rinse.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back