Did my Cespitularia get eaten or did it just melt away?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this cespitularia in my tank for almost a year. It grows like a weeding (shocking I know). However, this weekend it took a turn and basically disappeared in two days. I'm wondering if it was eaten by someone in the tank, or if it melted due to a Kenya Tree being very close to it. The Kenya and the Cespitularia have been next to each other for 5 months without issue.

I have the following potential suspects in my tank;
2 black and white clowns
bicolored blenny
purple fire fish
coral beauty (looking really smug right now)
yellow tang
blue mandarin (newish)
pincusion urchin (newish)
2 fighting conch (newish)
tiger conch (newish)
snails (varied species)
hermit crabs (varied species)
emerald crabs

If it was simply a softy war then I guess the Kenya tree won, although it is not looking great either. But if someone is eating corals I'd like to know and re-home or sump them. Any opinions would be appreciated.

FTS-6/30/20
FTS10 6.30.20.jpg

1595854436201.png
1595854455082.png

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it was fish to go so quickly, are you running fresh carbon?

Yes, I have a two bags in my sump. So your vote is chemical warfare between the two. Honestly that would make me feel a lot better that I don't have a rouge coral eater. I was suspicious after Sunday at how fast it disappeared and that's when I started to think maybe the Kenya was at fault.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have a two bags in my sump. So your vote is chemical warfare between the two. Honestly that would make me feel a lot better that I don't have a rouge coral eater. I was suspicious after Sunday at how fast it disappeared and that's when I started to think maybe the Kenya was at fault.

This is one of my neptheas now in the safe end of my tank. long story, my yellow scopas tang took a liking to it, there are 7 leathers in here out of the way for now, my fox face got a taste for my blue kenya tree, fish like tips of things so I can't see any way they could eat an entire coral in that time frame.

DSC_0004 (1024x683).jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back